Do name brand really matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys im lookin to do some general maintenance on my truck and was checking out rock auto.com... There can be a pretty good difference from cheaper denso all the way to acdelco. So is there any difference really? Also what oil do you recommend? I have 143,000 miles now.
Im looking to do: Plugs, wires, oil filter, oil change, fuel filter, and maybe all 4 02 sensors, air filter.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
delco, denso, delphi, standard, raybestos are products ill always choose before duraclast or others, ive had good luck with mevotech front end components on my old camaro. plugs wires cap and rotor ive never used anything but msd and delco.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Brand name depends on what part your looking to get, how long you plan on keeping that part & of course, what you can afford. Somethings, like tires, you dont want to go cheap with because your just going to be buying them again in half the time. I havent had bad experience with buying middle of the road stuff for the most part but plugs and wires (especially wires) I would not cheap out on. If you ask me I would tell you AC delco is good, the next guy will tell you AC delco is cheap. Depends on if you have been burned by the brand in the past. I love when people tell me they will not use a product or brand because they heard bad things! I cant usually go by what others say. Heck, I had to buy and drive a F-150 before I upgraded to a Chevy :lol:.
I said alot but didnt really tell you anything........:shrug:

McMuscle3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
haha, Well I know some people will say get this or get that. So the bottom line is its all comparible as far as the parts i named? Now with Oil though, Ive put royal purple synthetic in one of my cars and didnt notice anything special vs advanced auto name brand oil.lol with a big price difference.

Maybe under extreme conditions such as towing or long trips though, that may be special thing about cheap oil vs more quality.

But do ya'l go synthetic blend, or what?

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
A lot of oil is moving to a synthetic-blend - this is not synthetic! I use whats on sale BUT I also do oil changes right on schedule. If you go over your oil change milage I would step up in oil and spend a little more.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
^ agreed. i have the luxury that i get bradd penn oil for about 4 bucks a quart its more expensive that royal purple and not able to buy it at your local parts place, yet its some of the best out there. i used to just run my autozone specials on oil and what not because id jut change it right on schedule so it never got too dirty. Oil filters are something i will never skimp on though, i almost always buy fram or some sort of known name brand on those.

BigV

Reaction score
...i almost always buy fram or some sort of known name brand on those.

This is why there are so many brands. Everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes good. I use wix filters on everything and consider fram to be garbage.

For most things I pretty much go with whatever part has a lifetime warranty. I have a 3 ring binder for each of my vehicles that has all the receipts.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I buy the best stuff available.

I did Delco cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I use Castrol 10w30 (NON synthetic, I like REAL oil, not phony stuff). I use puralator gold filters.

I always use Delco or whatever premium parts Advance auto or carquest offer.

Premium brake rotors, pads, calipers..

I can drive my truck for months and months before something needs replaced if not longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blue93swb