Distributor replace/align

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a schematic of an ICM, when you pull the EST wire, the pickup coil is routed straight to the ignition coil (through the signal converter) which sends pulses to the plugs. If it doesn't work when connected, you may have bad wiring going to/from the ECM or, your ICM is bad. Check continuity from terminals on the ICM to the ECM as per schematic.

Yes, you can have a bad one from the factory, it's not unheard of. If it's a bad ICM, your coil may have taken it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

pmndlt

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help on this. @PlayingWithTBI you were indeed correct the ICM was bad. I went back through and confirmed it was put back together properly, drove with EST on, off and stalled all over town, got back to my street and ended up calling my wife to help me push lol. In desperation I removed the ICM from my 88 Iroc and threw it in. Distributor #s were the same so figured it couldn't hurt. Not a single stall! What a relief! Still doesnt run great but I unplugged battery in hopes of clearing codes.

I can't thank you all enough, the amount of experience and depth of knowledge on this site is incredible. Cheers all.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still doesnt run great but I unplugged battery in hopes of clearing codes.
Great news you got it! You may still have a bad coil which can cause stumbling too. You can take a spray bottle and hit the coil while idling. If it stumbles worse you know you need a coil. You can test it to tell it's bad but you won't know for sure if it's good. If it were me, I'd change it anyway. And buy only quality parts too. Here's an ICM I've had good luck with - so far, LOL.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D1984A-Original-Equipment-Ignition/dp/B0013FY548

Make sure you have a bit of thermal paste between your ICM and distributor!
^^^X2 - the ICM should come with a little tube of the stuff. I use this instead.
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-MX-4-2019-Performance-Durability/dp/B07L9BDY3T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3160F972VK9DT&dchild=1&keywords=arctic+mx-4+thermal&qid=1617719436&sprefix=Arctic+mx,automotive,789&sr=8-3

pmndlt

Reaction score
@Erik the Awful Yep, couldn’t find any local so I’ve got some from Amazon coming. Gonna throw some on the Iroc’s as well. Haven’t had an issue but now that I know lol...

Thanks @PlayingWithTBI Good suggestion, I had tried initially when you mentioned but it would die anyway. Not it actually runs I will try again this weekend. Have a great day everyone!