distributor issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i was reading and i saw that sometimes the sensor or what ever can go bad in the tbi distributors. right now i've messed with the timing had a new chip put in and it still back fires in the mid section of my rpm range. like it doesn't sound like its missing at the higher rpms 3k+ but in like the 2300-2900 rpm it back fires. also idles perfectly smooth and i don't have any troubles starting it. let me know what you guys think Thanks!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the magnetic pickup goes in them also sounds like an issue i had in my 88 i had a few years ago and it was the wiring actually the plug to the coil was bad

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so what did you have to do? replace the plug or the distributor? or just the pick up? cause i'm really getting sick of backfires and misses...

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the plug to coil was replaced ,and swapped out the dist for another one my buddy had

Was it easy to swap the plug? Or do they sell the actual plug and everything? Or what would I have to o for that. Cause I'm thinking of doing that and replacing the distributor. I have all new plugs wires cap and rotor....so I know that's not what's causing it

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the coil wire unplugs from the engine harness and the coil i got it off a truck at the junkyard

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
One other thing ya might check, and if anything, it's to see how much time ya got left before you need to replace your coil, is the current condition the insulation is in, if you see white spots between the coil and it's frame, it means it's starting to burn through, and should be replaced soon or it might leave you stranded somewhere. A coil that is burning through can release it's charge pre-maturely and cause dead cylinders or missfires at times.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I replaced the distributer and checked all connections and all problems are still existing...this all started after I got the new chip you think this could be the cause? I'm running out of possible solutions to what could be causing this...and I need it running prime! Also it started back firing after I got true duals...or I was able to hear it

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Since you mentioned the exhaust, I assume you mean it's backfiring out the exhaust, and not back up the intake.

Setting up true duals probably just made it so you could hear the backfire better....does it backfire on acceleration or deceleration? If it backfires when you take your foot off the gas, it could be a multitude of things, including even head-to-exhaust manifold gaskets.