diff between RCLB and ECSB 2wd frames

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjslaunwhite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
searched and cant really come up with the answer im looking for so here it is....

got a chance to pick up a 97 ECSB 2wd for a trade on a laptop (run my own pc business so pc's are just as good as money to me lol), the frame is rough in a rear end and it only has a 305 in it, whats the main diff between a reg cab long box'd 2wd frame and the one under the ext cab? (you can guess where in going with this, the frame and 350 from my RCLB under the ECSB cab and box) or should i just back half the frame and weld a short bed frame rear onto it and call it a day (ext cab will be used for light off roading so i can bring the kids, cant fit 4 ppl in a reg cab rofl)

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I looked into this one time. Im not sure its possible without doing a complete hack job on it. The frames are bent WAAAAAYYYY different. The wheelbase is different on a rclb and a ecsb. Im not sure its even possible at all, the cab mounts in relation to how and where the frame is bent are completely different. As im sure you have seen, I have done quite a bit of frame fab recently, and im not sure i would be willing to tackle this one.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not worth it imo you would have to shorten the frame in one place and legthen it in another

mattjslaunwhite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya after doing some looking around today and talking to a few friends if i do get it im just gonna back half the ext cab and just weld a new rear frame on from another ext cab if the rest is worth while, if not ill just rip what i need for the 95 off it and scrap it

and the laptop is worth i dunno $400 ish? iv got 8 laptops, and about the same amount of desktops stock piled up right now. don't have very much of a investment as i usually get bulk buys on systems or ill do a upgrade for someone and there cost is like $40 + the old parts type of thing, plus ppl give me old systems all the time (hence why i stockpile parts so i can upgrade/fix those systems with little to no expense to me)

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The section you cut and add on would not necessarily have to be from another ec. I think from the back of the cab back they are the same sc/ec. It would just have to be a short bed.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nova Scotia truck.....

Rotted rear frame.....

Scrap it for parts. It'll likely be nothing but problems if its that rusty already......I know from where you speak.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
For 400 bucks worth of laptop (that's not really 400 bucks to you) I'd do the swap.

Might be salvageable, might not. There's 400 bucks worth of parts there at least....

Took a closer look at his pics. I hope that messed up bed angle isn't what he calls "needs repair, no big deal".

Looks like its cracked right off by the pic.

Plates look "off" too. Hard to see any detail, but they're red. Like NB plates. Unless maybe its volunteer firefighter plates.....