Diesel bumper vs 454 bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1995 k2500 454 8600 gvwr 4.56 gears 4" lift 35" tires

I'm looking at ways to manage the temps of the various parts of the truck. I've found that when towing heavy on a hot day the cooling system is adequate to cover the extra heat from the engine and the tranny but using the A/C starts throwing it over the edge. It won't pin the gauge or anything like that, but it brings the engine up towards 225-230 with the tranny not far behind. This usually only happens when pulling long grades and is probably alright for the truck, but I'd like to keep the transmission under 200. I just ordered a B&M supercooler to replace the stock auxillary transmission cooler which should be enough, but I don't think extra cooling would hurt.

If I'm not mistaken, since I have the 454 I have the same radiator as the 6.5l. The diesels, of course, have two vents in the bumper and a duct to bring air up the radiator. Would I find any gains from putting a bumper and duct from a 6.5l on my truck?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should help assuming you also install the baffles to direct the air flow, same ones that were on the diesels

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Couldnt hurt. Id suggest e fans

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Would the e-fans run at all while I'm on the highway? My understanding was that the fans were for low speed driving

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couldnt hurt. Id suggest e fans

I like the fans that ford uses. They are quiet and move 3500+ cfm depending on the size. Unfortunately the stock clutch driven fans can easily do 6000-10000 cfm depending on the size, number of blades and rpm. I don't believe that an e-fan will help.

To the OP, have you flushed the cooling system and cleaned the bugs and trash out of the condenser and radiator fins? Also they store crap between the condenser and radiator.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Wash the fins in the radiator out. It may also be time for a cooling system flush if it hasn't been done in a while, there may be deposits in the bottom of the rad and some tubes may be partially blocked off.

Can you hear the clutch fan coming on?

When was the thermostat changed last? Water pump? You may notice cooling system improvements from replacing the water pump as well.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
I just did flush, new water pump, thermostat and radiator hoses. I haven't towed very heavy in hot weather since then so I don't know how much of an effect that will have had. My water pump did start weeping only a few thousand miles after my last hard towing trip - so the new water pump may make a substantial difference.

And yes, my turbo prop cessna fires up when the engine temps raise above 215-220 ish