Did the CS144 upgrade and volt gauge still sucks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well My volt gauge on the 89 has been hovering between the 9 and 14 for a long time. Battery finally died last week. I got a autocraft gold dual terminal one from AAP. Also did the big three. Grounded the battery to the frame and the block and grounded the body to the frame along with the power wire from the alt. Just today I put on a cs144. Easy swap same plug and everything. I was hoping this would get the gauge over 14. Nope! Gauge reads under 14 but checking the at the battery and the back of the alt I am getting 14.3+ volts. So my question is do you guys think its the gauge or what? Should I pull the alt off and clean where it contacts the alm alt bracket?? even with the hids running (lows and fogs) heater on med and radio on I get a reading of 13.93-13.97 at the back of the alt.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You're right where you want to be for output. Anything around 14 DVC or above is great. It may be the gauge in the cluster. Mine reads low too, but it fluctuates day to day. Battery is a year old. I'm getting about 13.5-13.8 at idle.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
It's the gauge. The one in my 97 reads about about 12 when I have 13-13.5. I bought a $5 digital voltmeter from ebay and I get a better reading that way.

Also, there is voltage drop over the wire, so you will always see a higher number at the battery. IMO, what the gauge is reading is more accurate of what your electronics are getting because they all have voltage drop as well.

You will see a big difference with the big 3 though, I picked up an extra .5 volts with my stereo and amps going with a larger battery ground wire.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the big 3. It all helped I was just hoping the gauge would show better voltage. Im going to get an aftermarket volt gauge and hook it up.