Dealer life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I've been in the heavy duty mechanical field since I was 18 (I'm 40 now) and all of the times I was actually a tech, it was hourly. I've long since moved into management and salary.

I miss the floor sometimes, but lord knows I cant keep up with these young cats out there lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Oh ok, I think I get it - so a flag hour is how much the dealership/GM thinks it should take to do the job?

So if he can do a 8-hour job in 6 hours then he gets paid for the eight hours regardless and then has two hours downtime or he can use to then bill to another job?

What happens if it takes ten hours for an eight hour job? SOL and get paid just for the eight hours?
Buddy works at a Honda dealership as a bodyman. $35/hr.
In a 40 hour week, he can rack up 60-75 hours of book time.
He has no downtime. He gets that 20 hour job done in 13 & he's paid for the 20. Customer pays the dealership for the 20.
If the book time on the next is 8 hours & it takes him 10, he's paid for the 8. Customer pays for the 8.
But he's already 7 hours ahead from the previous job.

Only works on the new vehicles.
Not much panel beating. Rather than fixing a 1/4 panel or fender, it's quicker & cheaper in the long run to just cut off the old & weld in the new.
But ask him if he wants to/could do some rust repair on an older vehicle.
"I'm not that kind of bodyman! Asking me that is like asking a plumber that works new high-rise builds if he would come over & unplug your toilet!"

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only works on the new vehicles.
Not much panel beating. Rather than fixing a 1/4 panel or fender, it's quicker & cheaper in the long run to just cut off the old & weld in the new.
But ask him if he wants to/could do some rust repair on an older vehicle.
"I'm not that kind of bodyman! Asking me that is like asking a plumber that works new high-rise builds if he would come over & unplug your toilet!"
Both sides of the fence earn good money, if you have the work. The old man, my youngest little bro and a good crew started out doing insurance jobs on modern stuff but have built a solid following in restoration work. They're booked up.. and I can guarantee they aren't giving that work away. $$$

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all of them do that and not all of the shops allow that.
I'd say most shops don't allow it, the one I worked at didn't, but as with many things that aren't allowed, it occurred.
I can't speak to how many techs practice it, but I'm confident that my experience isn't unique.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say most shops don't allow it, the one I worked at didn't, but as with many things that aren't allowed, it occurred.
I can't speak to how many techs practice it, but I'm confident that my experience isn't unique.
That basically sums up what 90% of working is like haha.

Ass kissers and politics. It's mostly just one big popularity contest - makes the world go round.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. Some of the sorriest employees at my work, are held in high regard, just because of their brown noses.
It really is the way of the world, it seems. There are very few strict meritocracies. In my work, you are paid 100% commission, if you don't produce, you starve. Then get fired. It is literally all about the numbers.

Richard

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
My experience was all about how much they could scam out of people and do as little work as possible. Most employees aside from a few were all not very sure if they were in Wisconsin or trapped in high-land. I think that dealer is gone, wouldn't be surprised if it is. Employees being high and everyone scamming people isn't making business boom