Dana 70 brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have a D70 DRW axle and I need brakes bad. the internals are so rusted that i have snapped pieces rattling around inside the drums. I've looked al over and found one disc conversion for a Chevy 70 but it said not to run dual wheels which I am planning on doing in the near future. My question is a two parter;
a) Why wouldn't I be able to run discs with DRWs? and
b) Is it possible to bolt on a 14ff DRW backing plate? I cant find chevy 70 backing plates anywhere and mine are so bad that my wheel cylinders are only holding on by about 1/4 of both the bolt heads on either side and I read somewhere that the plates and brake systems are interchangeable. If this is true it would save me a lot of time and money for parts.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Measure the shoes and Springs and go to an auto parts store that has someone who actually knows something and try and find matches, otherwise look for what that rear is from. As far as swapping backing plates, I don't know

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found shoes drums and spring kits and had em priced out what I haven't found us backing plates anywhere. I can't use a ford or dodge because the bolt patterns on the plate mount are different dimensions. If I can find backing plates anywhere I'd just as soon rebuild the drums so I don't have to mess with the valves and MC at all to swap in discs. Rear is out of an early 80s dually pickup but no luck at any auto store for the plates. Just read a disc swap post for a 14ff and it looks like it just slides on because the disc swap brackets have to be welded on as there is no flange with bolt holes like the Dana axle so that backing plate is out of the question.