D44 Hp & ford 9"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do y'all think about the d44hp and ford 9" I'm picking up for next to nothing? I'm doing some work on a four wheeler and I'm getting these and what I believe is a divorced ford np20 for the labor. Looks like someone already set it up for leaf springs but I will be redoing the mounts. I will also have to get different knuckles. If I swap knuckles I may go with a gm 6 bolt set up so I may sell the 9" and get a 14sf. I will be putting these under my 2wd hopefully this winter.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what size tires do you wanna run? what will you be doing with the truck?

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking 38s. The truck won't be too hardcore of a wheeler. It will be used to play a lil, hunt out of, and ride around. I know they aren't the best axles. My original plan was to go with a d60 and 14ff but Im getting a good deal on these and my plan is to make this as much of a budget build as possible.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with 38s i wouldnt waste time on the 44 and 9". that 44 looks to be in rough shape, by the time you dump money into it, to make it right, you could of bought a 60. you can find them anywhere from $400-$1500.

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I've been going back and forth with myself on it. I'm going to get the axles regardless, mainly for the np205. I may look into selling them and upgrading to a d60 and 14ff.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
38's are too much for that 44, just get a 60 and be done with one less failure prone area, be far better off in the long run

bump530

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well let me ask this. What's a good tire size to go with for the d44?