cutting tail pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I cut the tailpipe

I have the stock pipe sticking out of the back and it is UGLY. Eventually I'd like to put a new muffler etc but i'm low on money. Would cutting a foot or so off make any difference as far as passing smog or anything? I can't see why it would, just making sure lol.
also, would it be any louder? I have the 4.3l Vortec V6 on a 98 Cheyenne shortbed regular cab. Thanks in advanced :)

EDIT: Done, pics below!

Last edited:

ajbullins313

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah man I cut mine off the other day. It makes for a much cleaner look than having to paint it black all the time. Cut it at the last hanger behind the passanger side tire. You wont notice any sound difference at all. Remember you can always cut more, but putting it back is more easily said than done.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Hahaha you know what, I was just thinking about doing this right now. Thanks for the input.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After:

I welded on that little thing on, it doesn't look as good as I though (not that I thought it would look great lol.) It looks better from behind anyways. Sounds a bit better believe it or not. This is temporary, for a year or so.

What do you guys think?

freeze

Reaction score
I cut mine right behind the muffler. It actually sounds a little bit better and a little louder.