custom subwoofer/storage box in suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpels1

Reaction score
Ive been designing, redesigning and working on a project subwoofer and storage box for my suburban. It is still a work in progress but I wanted to share the pictures with you all. Please use your imaginations for this one, it may take a lot of thought to figure out what I am doing. the point of this build is I didn't want the box to take up any room in the back, i wanted it to provide a little bit of storage that I could secure, room for a single 10 inch sub and i wanted it to look factory.

Personally, I don't care for the spare that sits inside the GMT400 SUV's. It adds a blind spot that I don't care for. This truck is going to eventually have 40's on it so i figured the spare wont fit inside anyways. Before owning this suburban I had a 2005 which has some storage areas as well as a fake subwoofer grille which I replaced with a real one as well. My goal is for it to look as factory as possible for absolutely no reason other than I want to see if i can.

Unfortunately i can not find the picture of what it looked like stock, but I'm sure you all know what it looked like.

After I removed the plastic and all of the spare tire stuff I got to work on making a cardboard model of the intended box. I like using cardboard because its cheap and if I mess up its ok and its easy to change if i don't like it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I came up with the basic idea, and that I wanted drawers. After doing some measurements i figured that by the time i put drawers in I would be losing a lot of space from the wood, so I decided on a single door.

My idea is to hide the speaker screw holes with this panel, which I will carpet and attach to the box separately. I will also attach the existing plastic panel to the speaker box with similar material.

Once I am done making the area seamless, and carpeting it I will be attempting to build some peices for the top to match the opposite side of the suburban, so it will appear stock. Here are some of my build pictures. I had a bit of trouble with my router so the cuts are a bit funny. they still need to be cleaned up with a sander.

right now, this is what the box looks like. I am waiting for the parts store to get the tan carpet in. Please don't judge this yet. i still have a lot of work to do on this. stay tuned I will update when I make progress. until then, use your imagination!!

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Looks like a good start man cant wait to see how it turns out

lpels1

Reaction score
Subs for custom awesomeness. It's gonna turn out great. How many cubic feet?

its .7 cubic feet. there is definitely a way to make it larger and honestly i could have built the box longer to make room for 2 10's if i wanted to. if you had a sub that needed a lot of airspace you could have moved it to the center of the box and got rid of the storage space. I need a place for my recovery strap and receiver hitch to go, so thats why i have storage. I plan on putting a flush mount lock on there so i can lock stuff up in there if needed.

lpels1

Reaction score
so I made the decision today to just carpet the box. I will be trying to bond the box, center panel and existing plastic panel together into one piece. I have not permanently glued it down, but took more of a teaser pic. I however did re carpet the other side to match. the carpet is a bit lighter than stock but I think it still looks good. take a look.

I still need to smooth some wrinkles and I may do something different with the door on the box so i may end up pulling the carpet and redoing it. stay tuned

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I've been thinking about something similar for a bit. I see myself stealing your idea.