custom cluster idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For Christmas I took my truck on a 140mile trip to family for the holiday, and on the way down my speedometer kept getting stuck at 50mph, then if i hit the dash it would go to 65mph (i was doing 65mph, and tunerpro showed 65mph), so I think the speedometer is getting stuck on itself some how. I know I can replace with another cluster, swap the dash to the newer 98 curvy dash and interior, or even find a SS cluster for the 110mph (or is it 120mph). But I would like something unique and custom so I thought about an idea...

I was thinking of redoing the entire cluster with Autometer gauges, and putting them where the stock cluster is in a similar layout. Figured I would go with the following gauges - speedometer (0-160, cheaper then the 0-120), tachometer, oil pressure, volt, coolant temp, transmission temp, and some others (Still in the thinking stage).

I know how to hook up most of the gauges except the speedometer (which seems like there are a few different sensors), but is there anyway to use the stock chevy sensors wires from the ECU? I know the gas gauge I need the ohms from the sending unit and make sure I get a gauge that works with the ohm range. Is there anything special I need for the speedometer, or the pressure/temp gauges?

Figured this would cost around $600 for all the gauges, and I think it will be pretty nice when done. I just want to make sure I got everything thought through before I start this project. Mounting ideas are being thought of and drawn out as well so I can fit them in where the stock cluster is.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is a nice setup except I don't care for the digital end of things. I love the look of the needles. I am setting up a quick paint picture of what I am thinking of doing .... will upload when I am done.

Here is an idea of what I got - its not to scale or anything, just a quick 5minute paint photo --

You must be registered for see images attach

So it still has the same layout in that picture - but im not sure how im gonna do the layout until I get all the gauges first, but before that I want to figure out the speedometer sensor part so the ECU and the aftermarket gauges use the same sensors.

Last edited:

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow - that truck interior is really nice ! I like the entire setup of it. Love how he moved the HVAC controls, and built a little center part for the radio and shifter..... hmmm I think i got a good idea of how to set mine up now - I did not see that thread earlier when I searched :hmm: