Cooling system nightmare....1990 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought my truck (1990 5.7, RCSB) from my brother for $300 bucks. He had it sitting for a few years, and the last time it had been started was nearly a year ago.

I knew it needed a fuel pump which I've changed, but the cooling system is hellish. The radiator spout had all kinds of rust, and you could feel crunchy stuff in the hoses. From the looks of it, I would guess that it only had water in it, or It may have have dexcool in it. I drained and filled the engine several times (raditor petcock and lower hose). What came out looked like a red Georgia clay mudpuddle. I've also pulled the block plug and knock sensor, I had to stick a screwdriver in the hole to get it to drain. What came out was as black as oil. Then I stuck a garden hose in the thermostat hole and let it flood the block for a good 30 minutes, where the water was coming out clear, from all orifices. I've also run Napa Cooling system cleaner and Prestone Cooling system flush.

So upon startup, the engine temp is still climbing. I removed the thermostat, and it still gets up over 210º, albeit rather slowly. That is with the lower portion of the fan shroud removed. Even so, I would still think the engine should be overcooling.

Their is no weepage or noises coming from the water pump. Currently I am wondering if it is possible/likely that the water pump impeller may have completely/mostly disintegrated, and that my overheating is a result of the water not being pushed, instead of a blockage....That make sense?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah if it's that bad I would change the water pump also, not to mention that they are so cheap and easy to change on an SBC.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you flush out the radiator too or just the engine side.

Water pump may be gone like you were saying. If it were mine, I'd just replace it.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I have flushed everything, engine, radiator, heater core.....everything. Just didn't know if the pumps used a plastic or aluminum impelled for corrosion resistance.

Android/Tapatalk

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
pretty sure the impeller is just steel it would not be the first one I've heard of rusting out.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
my truck just did that, minus all the nasty ****. But it was the water pump. It's a $25 fix. Just do it. Might have a bad fan clutch as well. Or even a cracked/warped head.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
If you listen by the radiator hoses, you can hear water flow if the water pump is working. Or when the engine is hot, put your hand on the radiator see if it's warm. If it's cold, water isn't flowing. If it's hot, It's something else.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled of the water pump and removed the back cover. The impellar is completely intact.
I'm going to put it back together, and reinstall the lower fan shroud and give it another go.

Android/Tapatalk