Cooling system mess...help me out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prestone flush works good. I usually put it in then drive it for about 30 miles, the. Let it cool off, then drive it another 30 miles, then drain and flush.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
You're taking the right approach to getting all the crap out. Just keep hitting it with water until you can get it to flush clear. At least it's summer lol

I flushed my 99 Suburban with Simple Green. I drained as much as I could of the old coolant, poured in 2/3 of a gallon of Simple Green, topped off with clean water.

If you haven't had any more oil getting into the system and you're pretty sure it's not mixing into your engine and trans oil, then give it a shot.

You shouldn't leave Simple Green in there for long, but it wouldn't hurt to take it for a drive and give it a little WOT. These degreasers aren't easy on Aluminum (your rad and heater core) but having it in there for only an hour or two isn't going to hurt anything.

The Simple Green will also help wash out any leftover oil residue.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
flush it real good, let it heat cycle a few time with some oven cleaner in it or something high detergent, in all techniciality they make stuff specificially to remove shale and rust covert your water jackets for this type of application.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are also 2 pipe plugs, one on either side of the bottom of SBCs that you can remove... their purpose is specifically to get sediment out of the block.