coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wintimidator

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '97 Tahoe is somehow going through a lot of dex-cool antifreeze/coolant and I don't know why. I filled the reservoir 4 days and 25 miles ago and it is already empty. The temperature gauge always reads normal and it hasn't overheated. It does leak a little bit on the ground but not a lot and I don't know where it is coming from. On my daily drives I usually do not get up to operating temperature. Is it a problem that I should get a shop to look at?
Thanks

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Could be lots of things.. Could be a radiator hose (upper or lower), could be a reservoir hose, could be a bad radiator cap (I think) could be a water pump, could be a leak in a heater core line to or from the heater core, could be intake gaskets, could be a lot of things.

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
If that intake is leaking into the engine it won't be your daily driver for long.
Keep an eye on the dipstick. oil will start to turn into mayonnaise
Steve

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
The only way I knew my gaskets were done for is that when it got to running temp, It started running hot, and I smelled coolant and heard it bubbling out. But if you're not getting to operating temp, you wouldn't get that effect.

kdhs10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try watching your heater control valve while it is running. Mine was dripping and it took me a while to figure it out.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Take a clean paper towel and wipe it across the bottom of the fan shroud. It it's wet, replace the radiator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez