Code 32

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We see this one all the time and this morning Smoky throwed it.
Had to take Annie to the vet for her rabies and distemper shots and on the way home on popped the SES light. Couldn't tell anything was wrong with the truck so I came on back to the house and did the quick check with the jumper wire and got the code 32. First I checked the vacuum hoses,no problems there. Then I did the EGR solenoid test using a hand vacuum pump. Yup, that passed too. While I was pulling a vacuum on the EGR valve the gauge went to almost 10"hg before the EGR finally popped open but it did close when I bled the vacuum off. I pulled the EGR and it was pretty clean,only a little light brown carbon on the valve and in the manifold and not crusty at all. I pulled a vacuum on the valve once it was off and it did the same thing. Vacuum rose to just under 10"hg then pop, the valve released. I sprayed the valve stem with PB Blaster and repeatedly pulled it open and let it close until it quit sticking and would start to open at 2"hg. I pulled it open again and reached in there and painted the stem with antiseize then worked that in with the vacuum pump. Reinstalled the valve, cleared the code and hit the road. No more code 32. I probably could have just sprayed the PB Blaster on the stem with the valve in place but I wouldn't have known the condition of the valve and how much carbon may have built up behind it.

So, when y'all are chasing a code 32 and all seems OK check for a sticky valve stem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a while before you meet the conditions for the ECM to run the EGR test. Check the service manual for code 32 diagnosis and you'll see what I mean.

Not saying you didn't fix it, but you may not know whether it's fixed or not just yet.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rode to town and back running various speeds and loads, about a 15 mile round trip with part of it out on US 19 at 70 mph. It had plenty of opportunity to show itself. That EGR may be on it's way out. It only has to last about a month. Engine swap will be happening in the next couple weeks.
Parts in hand;
7427 ready to go in
454 TB rebuilt and ready to go in
3" universal exhaust in the shed
16ga sheet SS for custom muffler/expansion chamber.
Long tubes on their way

Parts needed;
Heated O2
O2 bung
350 KS
Three 3" exhaust clamps

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I've had, and still have, an intermittent 32. New egr (linear not vacuum), cleaned ports when intake was off. No change at all. 1995 TBI 454. I don't sweat it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
You cleaned the ports. Did you verify the solenoids?
No vacuum solenoids associated with my rig. Pcm controlled linear egr valve mounted on intake below the TBI. I did check the resistance of the old and new valves per emissions troubleshooting charts but haven't messed with anything on it lately.