Clutch issues, I'm stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Sounds like Slave cylynder to me as well. Could also be master cylinder, for me it was both. Master seized up on me somehow and the slave blew up a week later. But i did learn that the truck shifts fine without the clutch.

Yes....yes it does shift fine....without the clutch. So that kinda rules out the synchros being bad, I'm glad it's not as bad as my buddy's truck, it makes this "*****" sound everytime he shifts into another gear. My 1-2 synchro snapped and got stuck on my muncie........I'm so pissed at that right now.

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would the master not eventually run dry if this were the case?

No the fluid stays in the clutch system. The fluid bypasses the piston when the clutch is disengaged. Then when the clutch is released it will bypass the piston again. It will eventially start to leak externaly when the exterior seal is blown out.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
No the fluid stays in the clutch system. The fluid bypasses the piston when the clutch is disengaged. Then when the clutch is released it will bypass the piston again. It will eventially start to leak externaly when the exterior seal is blown out.

Oooooo.....dude, that is genius!!! I never actually thought about that happening, in the past, the external seal has always blown out on me before noticing this issue. Thanks a ton, I BET that's the cause man! :hail:

So what it's doing is the seal on the piston is probably getting warm from driving and getting blow-by, thus losing pressure. Like I said, GENIUS.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh, here's an interesting non-GM clutch issue. Ok, my 1974 260z has an odd clutch....explained: The master will be dry, fill it with fluid, reach under and "pump" the piston of the slave a few times, get in car and it'll drive around fine all day....park it and the next morning, no clutch and dry master. What it's doing, is the master on that car, is a pull type, instead of push type, and the rear seal is oozing fluid overnight into the floors. Took me a few days to figure out where the fluid was going, no drops or spills on the concrete floor the next day, nothing that would tell where it was going. Until time to strip the floors, well, the padding was soaked in brake fluid. That's another first for me, lol.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh and here's another first....a full kit that's "pre-bled"? Master, lines, and slave listed as "pre-bled and pre-assembled"......I don't know if I'd trust that to keep it's fluid in or air out during transport. Anyone heard of a kit being pre-bled and pre-assembled before?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and here's another first....a full kit that's "pre-bled"? Master, lines, and slave listed as "pre-bled and pre-assembled"......I don't know if I'd trust that to keep it's fluid in or air out during transport. Anyone heard of a kit being pre-bled and pre-assembled before?

Yeah I have seen those full prebled kit's offered, but I have never installed one. I have alway's done it old school and just bled it, the worst one ever for me was an 00 Ford Ranger that pos didn't want to bleed for anything.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
"Ford"

Didn't you say that ranger was a Ford? or did you mean a Polaris ranger? Oh nevermind, don't let me get started on polaris.....:nono: