Can't find the source of this coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK so to my untrained eye it looks like it may be seeping out of the lower radiator hose and wind from the fan an harmonic balancer is waiting some of it around and that's why there is coolant on the transmission hoses on the other side. Its a slow leak very slow. I replaced the intake gasket and water pump a year ago because it was leaking so I hope that isnt it again but I dont see any coolant near that weep hole or by the manifold.

You must be registered for see images

It looks like the riffles it that lower hose are wet a bit and there seems to be a fair amount of residue

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
did you try to retighten the hose clamps...good source of very slow leaks

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a leak like that, would drip down the lower hose here and there then it happened more replaced the hose and clamps no leaks since, I think just a clamp was loose but the hose was 3 years old

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I tighten that style of clamp that you Pinch? Do I just spread it apart or do I need to slide it off and bend the clamp in a little more and slide it back on?

I have owned this for about 4 years and I have never changed the hose and I'm not sure if the mechanic replaced it when the water pump was done.

Its possible it's the original hose

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do I tighten that style of clamp that you Pinch? Do I just spread it apart or do I need to slide it off and bend the clamp in a little more and slide it back on?

I have owned this for about 4 years and I have never changed the hose and I'm not sure if the mechanic replaced it when the water pump was done.

Its possible it's the original hose
Your talking the hose clamps you need to squeeze and take off with pliers?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can get a mirror and a good light that'll really help pinpoint the source. Possibly after cleaning it up.

obvious answer I know, but if you can get that coolant cleaned up then run it/pressure test then check for leaks it'll take the guesswork out of it.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those spring style clamps are junk. You need to get a worm clamp at your local parts store. It will be adjustable so you can tighten it down, just tell them which hose it is and they'll get you the right size. When you put them on wash it up and watch for any leaks.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is how I find difficult leaks. Clean and dry the area 100%. Then grab a turkey baster and fill it with flour. Aim the baster at the suspect areas and pressurize the cooling system. Then look for the wet spot.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the lower hose because coolant was definitely seeping out slowly BUT that is not the complete source of the leak. I filled up everything after replacing the hose and the coolant reservoir was reading right and after driving about 20 miles total there was nothing in the reservoir and drips on my driveway. l noticed that above the pump side of the lower hose behind the pump was pretty wet and it still is after replacing the hose. There is no visible leak looking down from the engine bay and I cant see that area above the lower hose and behind the pump to know what is back there. The leak is dripping onto the harmonic balancer. Any thoughts or info that I can give that will help diagnose this?