Can someone help me out here? I have a LOT of steering play.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 97 but after replacing everything with moog parts the steering was still loose. it turned out to be the gear box. all the new parts helped out because most of the steering was wore out anyways. that was almost two years ago. since then all steering had held up nice but in the end i replaced my gear box twice. i recently sold the 97. it seems like the 88-94 trucks steer alot better im not sure why?

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got the same problem
steering goes from about 10 - 2
did ball joints and tierods this past summer
not sure what the rag joint is, that have another name?
and if i do the pitman, and idler, should i do the idler bracket assembly too?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
got the same problem
steering goes from about 10 - 2
did ball joints and tierods this past summer
not sure what the rag joint is, that have another name?
and if i do the pitman, and idler, should i do the idler bracket assembly too?

The rag joint is From Doorman and part number 31002. The new idler arm should come complete with new bracket.
I think the play comes alot from the steering boxes, you can try adjusting it, may help, if not replace with a reman.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm, looks like the idler bracket is different, costs as much or more then the idler arm
how do you adjust the steering box?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm, looks like the idler bracket is different, costs as much or more then the idler arm
how do you adjust the steering box?

Ahh it appears the 3 bolt idler arms the bracket/mount is serpeate. The older 2 bolts were all one piece.

To adjust the steering box on the top of it there is a jam nut and adjustment bolt (takes a allen key). Loosen the jam nut then tighten the adjustment screw, tighten jam nut. Test steering for binding.