Camshaft offset extremely retarted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TStowell

Reaction score
Hi I've got a 1996 C1500 with a 5.7 Vortec. I recently got a tune along with other mods Ive noticed a weird shuttering since I've gotten the truck originally chocked it up to my loud exhaust but now I can view my cmpret parameter and it sits at around -27 to -32 degrees. From what I've seen it looks like my dostrubtor is going bad I tried to adjust my distributors cap and it still has incredibly retreated offset. Any help is appreciated or if anyone knows it's 100% a bad distributor gear.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I've got a 1996 C1500 with a 5.7 Vortec. I recently got a tune along with other mods Ive noticed a weird shuttering since I've gotten the truck originally chocked it up to my loud exhaust but now I can view my cmpret parameter and it sits at around -27 to -32 degrees. From what I've seen it looks like my dostrubtor is going bad I tried to adjust my distributors cap and it still has incredibly retreated offset. Any help is appreciated or if anyone knows it's 100% a bad distributor gear.

Greetings TStowell,

In the old days where there was plenty of room to swing the distributor around, it could get installed
(stabbed) one tooth off, and a lot of times we could just twist away the error, get it running right, and
call it a day.

But on your '96 there's very little room for twisting the distributor. It sounds like the previous owner/mechanic
got the dizzy stabbed one tooth off? Here's the kicker: since the actual base timing comes from the Crank
Position Sensor up front, the truck will actually run alright some of the time, but depending upon the total
advance computed, you start getting misfiring due to the rotor being closer to the wrong distributor cap
terminal. (ie: spark sent to the wrong cylinder)

Enough of the theory. Pull the engine through until the engine is at #1 on the compression stroke. Pull
the distributor, advance the distributor one tooth worth. Since the bottom of the distributor drives the
oil pump, you will need to take a long screwdriver and also twist the oil pump drive the same amount in the
same direction in order to allow the distributor to drop back in.

Tighten the distributor back down and recheck the cmpret. Try to get it within the specs in the FSM:
0° +/-2° at 1000-1100 rpm.

NOTE: High mileage dizzys are known to have a lot of wear in their driven gear. In the first attachment
is the picture of a brand new one -- notice the uniform gear tooth thickness. In the 2nd attachment is
a picture of a worn gear, exhibiting what some refer to as a 'knife-edge' look.

While you have the dizzy out, check to see how much play there is between the spinning distributor
shaft vs the bushings in the housing.

My hope is that with the 1 tooth adjustment that you can now get the cmpret to adjust properly. But
if after this change you still can't get it within spec, then we'll have to take it to the next level. But for
now let's keep it simple and with any luck we'll get this sorted out on the first try.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• New chevy dizzy gear comparison no wear.jpg
    New chevy dizzy gear comparison no wear.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4
  • knife edge worn distributor gear (opt - corvetteforum).JPG
    knife edge worn distributor gear (opt - corvetteforum).JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 4

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be looking at a jumped timing chain first. Pull the cover and check the timing marks.

I have yet to see one jump time on a Vortec. Almost every single one I have had apart had a single roller chain. I have seen a few that someone had obviously been into that had the inferior link style chain, but I feel like that was someone installing the wrong chain because it was a few $ cheaper. This one has 120K on it and lives in the budget L31 350 build.

You must be registered for see images attach

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cannot hurt to verify that your harmonic balancer aka damper is good and its rubber has not slipped.
Verification requires a piston stop tool screwed into #1 cyl.