Cams Vs. Emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clubber

Reaction score
I have an LS-1 with a cam that passes great. I know it's a different engine but a similar cam should work for you. I have a comp cams with 222/224 duration on a 112 lobe spacing. I would think that a cam of about 225 (at .050) duration should pass easily. Also this last part is my own idea but a wider lobe center angle will have less overlap and so should be pretty clean but as I said, that's my own thinking.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I have an LS-1 with a cam that passes great. I know it's a different engine but a similar cam should work for you. I have a comp cams with 222/224 duration on a 112 lobe spacing. I would think that a cam of about 225 (at .050) duration should pass easily. Also this last part is my own idea but a wider lobe center angle will have less overlap and so should be pretty clean but as I said, that's my own thinking.

They make you do a dyno run with your LS-1 or do they just plug it in to diagnostics? That's OBD-II stuff. If I only had a year newer this would be a hair easier. Haha. I plan on running a 208°/217° at 113° lobe separation. That's what I had in my old truck. Super mild but still a big jump over stock.

Thanks for the input!

narizon

Reaction score
From CA also,I have a '89 5.7 TBI OBD1 that I modded sum & passed the emission/smog crap that we have to deal with.
I found several cam's that I wanted but they would have been fails here in CA.Ended up using a RV cam.A Summit K1102 is the same as Edelbrock 2102 ( 204/214 .420/.442 112 LSA ,idle to 5,500 RPM ).With correct springs,rocker arms etc you can get easily get 6,500 RPM out of this combo,many have done it.I haven't tried it,my truck weighs 5000 lbs plus.This cam is old tech but works great with 5.7 TBI's,has plenty low end to it.Many here and their don't care for it but it does work & the price is right.Also used the OEM 193 heads with a 3 angle valve job,Summit 174000 valve spring kit some port & polish done by myself.That was an experience.Several other mods were done but these were the critical ones to pass CA smog.
Forgot,this combo passed the test without a tune/chip.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Hmmm...If you don't mind...What's your grind? I'm looking at fairly mild stuff since this it's a 4WD truck that I plan on lifting.

214/209 @.050 And just under .450 lift. 112 LSA.