Burning distributor modules.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

William Rekow

Reaction score
I've got a '95 with the 350 that seems to lose a distributor about once a year. This morning I took a roundabout way to work because I had to pick up some screws from the hardware store. Just as I was leaving town I lost my ignition system.
Having already put two distributors on this truck, I immediately suspected the ignition module in the distributor. I pulled it and the coil and ran to the auto parts store about a block away. They had no method by which to test the coil, but they did test the module. Dead as #$&@ing stone. I bought the Borg-Warner unit, and replaced the module (didn't feel like replacing my awesome Summit billet distributor) and made sure to schlob it down with some good heatsink paste.
What would contribute to the repeated failure of these ignition modules? At this point I have had two brand new distributors across the engine, so I doubt it's a magnet wheel.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might try thermal grease instead of the cheap grease that it comes with new modules also clean all the connections and make sure all the pins are straight even clean the lug ground good luck.

I forgot what exactly but the screws or a plastic washer that goes on the screws to hold down the module keeps coming up in my head but I can't pin point it out maybe this might trigger something for you to think about or maybe what the screws are made of again I can't remember.

Check all the wires maybe one or two is grounding out they might have got damaged if when you put the dizzy cap back on and the cap pinched the wires that plug into the dizzy.

Last edited: