Building a flatbed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TFD_Truckie

Reaction score
Hey all! So I got into an unfortunate accident involving a tree and a broken tow strap, and messed up my bed pretty bad. Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy a new bed, and due to rust and damage it isn't worth fixing the bed. So i'm looking at building a flatbed for my truck, so it will have a little more storage space. Unfortunately I don't have access to a welder, or the money to buy metal. I've been thinking of making one out of wood. Has anyone done this? And I'd rather not just bolt a piece of plywood down, I was looking a possibly using 2x4's. A basic plan is 2x4's as an outer frame, the 2x4's running width wise along the bed, and angled cuts to make room for the rear tires to flex, and then probably rubber mudflaps off the back. I'd have to figure out tail/signal/reverse lights. Does anyone have experience with wooden flatbeds or flatbeds on a GMT400 in general? Any tips would be appreciated.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are all kind of pics and plans on line, just Google wooden flat beds for trucks. I use to build utility trailers for a living a long time ago. They are still made the same way. What you want to use is decking boards for the floor, kind of like building a deck in your back yard. All wood needs to be pressure treated. You will need to start with 4x4s to level out the frame. Then cross 2x4s to give a place to tie in the decking boards. All boards will need to be screwed down with weather proof screws like maybe galvanized or decking screws. I looked on Yahoo and found some good pics, I'm sure Google will have the same thing.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've had flatbed 400s but I'd never have a wood one haha

TFD_Truckie

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies guys, i appreciate it. I've drawn up a plan, and tomorrow i'm gonna measure for the 4x4's to tie the bed to the frame. I'm probably gonna use 2x8's for the decking, carriage bolt them to the 4x4's. Any recommendations for taillights/turnsignals/reverse lights? I'd like to reuse the factory harness if possible. I'm comfortable wiring, but the easier/cheaper I can make this the better.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you can lay them flat just under the bed decking boards, and screw them in like that. Go on Yahoo and type in truck wooden flatbed and the second pic is a Ford Ranger. The bed frame is steel, but they took the original tail lights and put the flat just under the bed deck like I'm talking about.

WorkinMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you use galvanized screws or carriage bolts...most other things in treated lumber will corrode and just break off. Some of the dipped stuff is OK but depending on what it is it can rub off and will just corrode/rot away as well. Your best bet would be to go with galvanized. They may be a little more pricey but it will last a lot longer.