build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
ok here is my current build...

doing all the external bolt on stuff before i rip the engine apart.

summit headers, 3" collectors using reducers to 2.5, flowmaster y pipe into 2.5" pipe. Borla Pro XS 2.5 in 2.5 out single muffler. side or rear out... not sure which direction i'm going to spit my noise yet.

getting a bored Throttle body for the intake side. thinking about adding the hypertec power thingy (salad bowl) and a cfm-tech power plate to allow both planes of the engine to utilize both bores of the throttle body. doing these mods will i NEED a chip? i know it will help, but... will my truck run and drive ok without a chip? also going to do a heated O2 sensor reposition to just after the y pipe. I am not so much trying to make a race truck, but trying to unlock the potential of my engine right now. I have a set of fresh from teh machine shop 906 vortecs waiting to go on but i KNOW i'll need a chip after that... and a fuel pump, spring, injectors, cam lifter and springs, .... etc. $$$ i'm not trying to drop at this moment.

Hope someone can answer this.

Thanks.

beast94

Reaction score
No you will not need a chip for just putting headers and a throttle body spacer on. Yes you will need a chip after putting those vortec heads on. You can get a custom PROM burned by tbichips.com. Or you can get an aftermarket ECM from a place like Dynamic EFI. You will have to do the tuning though if you go that way. I have the EBL Flash from Dynamic EFI and I love it. Its not hard to tune at all and on a mostly stock engine I was getting 18 MPG average.

Gamikatsu

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warner Robins GA (South of Atlanta 1.5 Hr)
wel 100% of my plans just got shot to hell... i got offered a vortec 6.0 LQ4 motor, year unsure (has alum heads) for 500 cash. from a friend, motor runs, had 85k miles, truck got totalled (i'm in real close with junkyards around here). the ECM is missing and so is the wiring harness, presumed crushed with the vehicle after they stripped it. going to go with the Edelbrock 7118 kit, with the MSD controler and the carb intake manifold. Going to do carb for a few reasons...

1: don't have a ECU
2: don't have wiring harness
3: Easier
4: easier for me to play with, love carburetors
5: so many 400+ hp builds on the web with the carb kit
6: why freaking not?

pick the motor up for 500... the carb kit for 700.. find a carb locally for it mabey 100 bucks... that puts me in the 430 hp range for 1300, mabey $1500 range after odds and ends... not to bad...