Brake system modifications.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I taught a class on this subject. Think of the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Now put one on each side of a fulcrum and a leaver. When the slave cylinder is bigger than the master, it’s as if you placed the fulcrum next to the load or slave cylinder. The master cylinder travels further (the length of the pedal being pushed is the same travel the master goes when on the leaver. When the master cylinder is larger than the slave then it is as if the fulcrum was moved away from the load/slave and close to the master. If you want more breaking power you can do one of 4 things. One you can increase the caliper piston. You can reduce the size of the master (which increases pedal travel). You can increase both, or add more pistons. It’s the same for all hydraulic systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your brakes are feeling squishy and your truck is a half ton, replace the master. The half tons have a "quick take up" master cylinder because they have low drag front brakes that retract farther than normal brakes, so they need the special master. I've personally never owned one with squishy brakes but have replaced many many master cylinders on 1500's.