brake lights acting up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The easiest way to describe my problem is this, when I apply my brakes like 1/8th of the way they light up, however if I press past that they go out, my license plate lights, reverse, and parking all work fine. I replaced the brake light switch up under the dash, regrounded the harness, sometimes if I press the brakes pretty hard they will light up also, but under normal driving conditions as stated before, they work about an 1/8th of the way then go out when brakes are applied more. Im pretty stumped with this and hopefully someone can provide some insight. Thank's

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I am having a similar problem except mine done work at all worth brakes applied running lights reverse and tag lights all work...no brake lights though..I've replaced switch.fuse was good.also replaced both bulbs..still no brake lights

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C

wva1

Reaction score
hey all those wires go thu the turn switch on the older trucks mines an '89 my not be the same

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm, well I figured something funky out tonight. I rolled the brake switch up off the bar it clips on and now they work great. However it's not right obviously. Any input on my next steps? I've narrowed it down to the switch which is new, just not understanding why it will only work rolled forward some

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm, well I figured something funky out tonight. I rolled the brake switch up off the bar it clips on and now they work great. However it's not right obviously. Any input on my next steps? I've narrowed it down to the switch which is new, just not understanding why it will only work rolled forward some

Like rolled forward on the shaft that the brake booster attaches to?

wva1

Reaction score
Like rolled forward on the shaft that the brake booster attaches to?

there is a slot that it has to be pushed in which holds the switch be pushed in so it can not move only the part that goes around the brake pedal should move not sure about a '97 mines a'89 and '93 hope that helps

wva1

Reaction score
there is a slot that it has to be pushed in which holds the switch be pushed in so it can not move only the part that goes around the brake pedal should move not sure about a '97 mines a'89 and '93 hope that helps

hey guys looked up the switch for a '97 and its diff. from mine.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey guys looked up the switch for a '97 and its diff. from mine.

Lame..thought it sounded different..still have no idea why mine won't work..my switch wouldn't let me shift out of park then I got a new switch.it'll shift just no brake lights

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
There's an adjustment process for the brake light switch when replacing it. Sounds like you had it too far into the bracket and you were out of adjustment.