brake light help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
alright so ive had my brake lights out for a couple weeks now and today i actually started tinkering with it but didnt get any result, so i started offf by removing my tail lights and the light assembly from the tail light to i could see it better, anyways the bulbs were fine, i switched the horn relay and the brake relay under the hood and got no difference, so then i got a small piece of wire and jumped the #3 and #5 pin on the relay and what do you know, the brakes light up, that being said i still cant figure out whats exactly wrong with it. could it be the brake pedal switch? any help would be awesome

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
You need to check the fuse and then the switch itself. The brown wire should have power at all times from fuse #18 and the other purple wire has power only when the pedal is pressed.

Last edited:

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your hazards work? They share the fuse with the brake lights. If no hazards and no brakes then possible stop/haz fuse 1.

Does your high mount stop light work? It's energized with the brake pedal but is independent of the brake relay. If it lights and no tail brake lights then your pedal switch is good and possible the stop maxi fuse 2 or relay is bad. If no to both high mount and tail brakes lights possibly the pedal switch is bad.

Brake relay has pins like...
D9__E9
____E8
D7__E7
When you push the pedal switch it applies 12v to D7 thru to E9 (gnd) and energizes the relay. E7 has 12v from maxi fuse 2 and applies 12v to D9 when energized. If you jumper between E7 and D9 and the brake signals come on with the pedal switch depressed then the maxi fuse 2 is good and the relay is possibly bad.

All this assuming the combination switch is ok...