Brake Bleeding Heartache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to post 6 a master and booster were needed and the problem was resolved.

I installed a new wheel cylinder pretty quickly, but still couldn't get the rear brakes to bleed. I got tired of messing with it so I limped the truck over to my local mechanic who said the master cylinder was bad, and the the booster had a vacuum leak. What I thought was going to be a quick fluid refresh turned into something quite a bit bigger (and pricier). Good times!
Were the master and booster actually replaced--says only that they were diagnosed as "bad".

I don't see that the original problem has been resolved. It may be that the description of what happened is lacking detail.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were the master and booster actually replaced--says only that they were diagnosed as "bad".

I don't see that the original problem has been resolved. It may be that the description of what happened is lacking detail.

I'd tend to agree with you but for the tendency for users to abandon their thread once the issue is resolved. In this case the thread jumped from January to September with no additional info or complaint of ongoing problems. It can be assumed either way but I like to think O.P. replaced said components for a successful outcome.

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, bad post etiquette on my part. I'll wrap this up.

I tried for about a week to get my brakes to bleed with no success. Both wheel cylinders were leaking, so I replaced them but it didn't resolve the problem. I bought an automatic brake bleeder, but it wouldn't connect to my truck. I don't recall the specific error to be honest, but after a bit of internet sleuthing I came to the conclusion that the bleeder wasn't compatible, or the operator (me) didn't know what he was doing, so I returned it.

At that point I brought the truck to my mechanic, who diagnosed the faulty master cylinder and vacuum leak in the booster. Both were replaced, breaks were blead, and I have a nice firm pedal now.

Last edited:

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry guys, to clarify both the booster and master cylinder were replaced. Also, both wheel cylinders were leaking so they were replaced as well.

How does it feel now? I've done almost everything except for replace the booster at this point, including scanner bleeding the abs and my pedal still has a squishy bit at the very top of the travel before the actual braking kicks in.

I even swapped to the bigger front calipers (brand new ac delco) and swapped to a 14bsf with the bigger brakes, totally rebuilt end to end with ac delco and yukon parts. The brakes are much stronger/firmer when actually braking, but it still has the dead spot (better now, but still there) on top that makes a "whoosh" sound before the brakes really bite.

oldelpasso

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does it feel now? I've done almost everything except for replace the booster at this point, including scanner bleeding the abs and my pedal still has a squishy bit at the very top of the travel before the actual braking kicks in.

I even swapped to the bigger front calipers (brand new ac delco) and swapped to a 14bsf with the bigger brakes, totally rebuilt end to end with ac delco and yukon parts. The brakes are much stronger/firmer when actually braking, but it still has the dead spot (better now, but still there) on top that makes a "whoosh" sound before the brakes really bite.
The pedal is nice and firm now. No issues since the Booster and Master were replaced.