Boxing(doubling) the rear frame on my SAS'd 1997 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baitshop

Reaction score
Looking good. I try to avoid welding on frame rail flanges but it looks sturdy.

That is absolutely true, you should avoid welding there. In this case, I hatched this plan because I didn't like the idea of conventionally "plating" the frame in that area. I honestly think that you could easily do more harm than good that way. You always introduce a potential cracking spot where the welds end(I did too, albeit in a better spot imho). I think that what I did more closely mimics a factory boxed frame. The factory front section of my frame is welded together in similar fashion. Time will tell. Truth be told, I'm most concerned with the crossmembers and brackets that had to be sectioned and welded to the new inner frame. I will be keeping an eye on those for sure, but the gooseneck hitch itself acts as somewhat of a crossmember too. I would think that should help a little with the torsional rigidity.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did you use to paint the frame. I am thinking of doing a similar upgrade to my burban. Get another frame. Blast and paint it. Do a SAS and 1 ton front and rear. Then swap under my truck. That way the burban is down the least amount of time possible.
Truck looks good!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What did you use to paint the frame. I am thinking of doing a similar upgrade to my burban. Get another frame. Blast and paint it. Do a SAS and 1 ton front and rear. Then swap under my truck. That way the burban is down the least amount of time possible.
Truck looks good!
Holy thread dig man

Baitshop

Reaction score
Truck looks good!

I use Dupont(Axalta) products. Nason Ful-Poxy primer and industrial Imron top coat. Imron is amazing stuff, but I would have a professional do the spraying. It's chock full of isocyanate. It will have long lasting affects on your body if you don't have the proper protective equipment to spray it. Also, I think you'll have a hard time getting the axle in the correct position relative to the wheel well if you do the sas on a frame that has no body on it. Certainly not impossible, but something to consider.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Amazing work. Have you had a chance to flex it or test it in any way? Im curious if you notice much of a difference in strength.