Body Work or Used Panels before Paint Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajundave10

Reaction score
I have dents in both rear side panels near the tailgate. I have several in my tailgate. I have on on the front hood. I also have one by the rear extended cab window.
You must be registered for see images attach

Would I be better off finding used body part panels of various colors and then getting a paint job? Or should I get body work done to it and then paint it?

Is it easy to say what is the more cost effective solution or would it depend on the severity of the dents?

white97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the dents in the bed before putting bedsides on the bedsides never fit right they will look pulled in up by the cab

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
you dont have much of any rust, I would do dent repair before new panels.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Salvage yard the hood,(if it is a bad dent, if it is small it can be fixed if you can get to it),and tailgate, and repair the rest of the dents. White is a great color to repaint. It is good for not showing small imperfections.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed you can probably find a white hood and tailgate at the yard. they are plentiful around Louisiana
I know there is a pull-a-part around Baton Rouge. Man you can't beat there prices. I got a hood from the one in Lafayette about 6 months ago. My hood flew up doing 50 MPH, so it was bent up bad in the corners. I got a hood from pull-a-part, sanded it, and brought it back to fact-o-bake where I had the truck painted in Oct. 2012. They repainted the hood for around $300 I think. I think I paid less than $100 for the hood.

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im an hour and half from Baton Rouge, gotta check those out. Even the local ones in NELA has a good bit of OBS trucks.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
pull-a-part has a web site, but they don't list the parts they have, only the cars and trucks, and how much each part cost. So if your looking for say a hood, you can see how many Chevy trucks they have, what years, and how much it cost for a hood or whatever part you want, but they won't tell you if they have some in stock, or on any truck. Also they are open 7 days a week. Here is the site http://www.pullapart.com/

Cajundave10

Reaction score
I actually pulled a black tailgate and a green hood that were in good shape besides the paint. I planned on sanding these down and either putting them on before I brought it to fact o bake or monstalining the whole truck myself (after body work or panel replacement)