best windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1998 k2500 rclb the windshield was replaced 10yrs ago on rusty mounts so the whole top mount rotted out over the years and leaked badly i removed the windshield and broke it in the process, I then repaired the mounts.
I'm trying to decide what glass i should have installed. The glass in it was pilkington, but i would prefer to get oem, does any one know if you can get oem glass anymore or should i try to get pilkington glass or another?:hmm:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have PGW in mine and it is very good.

I got a deep chip and they filled it and it still is holding.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Almost all glass shops are going to want to give you a Chinese glass for about $150 installed. I recently had a Pilkington glass installed for about $175, made in Mexico.

PGW as mentioned above is Chinese.

Richard

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I simply found a place here in town that had the best value, to include installation and warranty. I didn't go with the cheapest, and Safelite quoted me about $400 if I remember right. I ended up paying about $230 I think with a 12 month warranty on glass and installation.

Reaction score
Almost all glass shops are going to want to give you a Chinese glass for about $150 installed. I recently had a Pilkington glass installed for about $175, made in Mexico.

PGW as mentioned above is Chinese.

Intristing, my pilkington glass was made in Canada. Also is ppg glass made in China as well? I think I'm going to try to get pilkington glass again, does anyone know if you can still get original gm glass or who makes the original windshields?

What?

Reaction score
Other alternate is to find a local/small chain body shop and see what glass company they use. As well as a reputable tint guy for windshield/glass company referral. On side note, every vehicle I own always cracked windshield. I even had windshield cracked with new 370Z Roadster when I borrowed it. :nono:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Safelite quoted me about $400 if I remember right.
WTF holy jeezus $400 quote for a GMT400 windshield? That's literal robbery.

Intristing, my pilkington glass was made in Canada. Also is ppg glass made in China as well? I think I'm going to try to get pilkington glass again, does anyone know if you can still get original gm glass or who makes the original windshields?
It's likely that Pilkington has several sources, or possibly they made yours in Canada a while back, then outsourced to Mexico later. The way you know for sure where a particular glass was made is to run the DOT code on it through the NHTSA website.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/manufacturer/lookup.htm

You can slim it down by un-checking everything except "glazing" and then put the DOT code in the field that says "DOT ID" and hit search.

For example, here's the code from a previous replacement windshield in my truck:

You must be registered for see images attach

So I would enter "459" in the DOT ID field. Here's the result:

Manufacturer Name FUYAO GLASS INDUSTRY GROUP CO., LTD.
DOT 459
Address FUQING, FUJIAN PROVINCE CHINA

Say the city name. Say it in Lu Kim's voice from South Park. You know, the City Wok guy. Yes, it was made in a FUQING CHINA!

Richard

What?

Reaction score
My rear window was replaced by Safelite for $250, and same DOT459 as above post.