Best way to hook up tailgate light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I had a few of these in the past, and always used the trailer plug, and would just unplug it when pulling a trailer, since you couldn't see very well anyway, because of said trailer.

Seems like I've seen some T adapters, but would be easy to make one.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
They can be hardwired into the trailer harness, or you can use the 4-pin connector, if your light bar comes with one. On some light bars, you have to make your own 4-pin adapter for the light bar so you can plug it in to the trailer connector. Regardless of what ever light bar you get, you'll have to hard-wire the reverse wire.

I currently have mine plugged into the trailer connector on my 98, and seems to be working fine, though I do plan on hard-wiring it once summer rolls around again.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny story, did not know I had a trailer harness for 23yrs. It was so tucked away. I am using it now for a third back up light. Really helps at night with my old peepers.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It surely makes sense that if a trailer is in use the bar won't be needed. i don't expect to tow unless I help my kid move a boat. The truck does have a controller which I have no idea how to use or if it works. The hitch is solid and right now I have a 3rd stop light plugged into the adapter so i know that works.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to reopen an old thread but does you guys running lights work on your tailgate light strip? I just installed mine and everything works well except the running light when I turn the park/headlights on...also I notice that the right turn signal blinks fast when the lights are on as well. I hardwired mine in and used the brown wire from the rear main harness as running light wire. Any help would be appreciated...thx!