Best Steering Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the group and I am looking for information on Upgrading my steering shaft. I have a 1999, K3500, GMC, with a 454. I am wanting to upgrade my steering shaft can anyone tell what is best to go with. I have replaced the steering gear box and the front end is tight. I have narrowed it down to the steering shaft but I don't want to go back with stock I want to upgrade it. Any help is appreciated.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
For the price, OEM shaft with a Flaming River u-joint is the best budget option (rag joint eliminator). Otherwise Flaming River also make whole shafts if you want something shiny.

I have the flaming river u-joint with OEM shaft in both my 97 k3500 dually and 93 k1500. That is in my top-10 first things to do to these trucks.

Reaction score
For the price, OEM shaft with a Flaming River u-joint is the best budget option (rag joint eliminator). Otherwise Flaming River also make whole shafts if you want something shiny.

I have the flaming river u-joint with OEM shaft in both my 97 k3500 dually and 93 k1500. That is in my top-10 first things to do to these trucks.
Flaming river isn't showing on for my truck or even for an old one.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might want to look at Cunningham Machine.
I just did the Cunningham shaft its a quality piece for sure !! No qualms yet. Although not a deal breaker but I feel like or wish they would revise the
“Allen” set screw that locks the shaft to the gear box , for a Grade 8 hex head bolt mainly for the ease of nerves lol…
Anything “Allen” sucks ‘ But I agree Cunningham for the win!!!
They also make really good door bushings and pins !