Best paint for frame? Undercoating? Bedliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I plan to pull my box off and fix a couple of things while I have that off, and I plan on painting my entire frame before I put it back together. I was just wondering what people have the best luck with for keeping rust away. Do you recommend paint, undercoating, or bedliner? And if its any of these do you recommend roll on or spray on? Let me know please! I want to get this started within the next week or so!

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i like oil based paint with a primer personally get all the grime and off, descale all the rust and apply some primer then apply your oil based paint. leaves a nice smooth black or colored surface. basically the same thing as chassis saver and what not. roll on spray on brush on they all work.

my dad always said if it comes to an option do what your best with. if your good with a brush use a brush not a roller, if you can spray it dont bother brushing it.

personally i like to brush it on, you can get into crevices and such easier. aerosol(sp) has more waste than a brush in my mind. a brish you can maximize the amount of product you have to the full extent.

other good ways are use a metal primer and a bedliner will help make it rock solid, look rugged, and might help strengthen and absorb road noise perhaps. depends what all you want to spend what look you want, and what all you feel comfortable tackling on a project like this.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yup, agreed with Josh. POR15 is great stuff.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
POR-15 as mentioned above....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

i used a spray-on bedliner for the bottom side of my bed before the truck was painted..it's held up great, no chips, dings, rust, etc.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Wasn't happy with the POR15 on my frame. didn't hold up during the winter, I used the spray on bed liner and it still looks good.