Barn door hinge pin removal without specialty tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just painted my 94 Chevy Suburban and someone went and broke out my barn door window. I have watched videos on how to remove the pins but am not having any luck. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just painted my 94 Chevy Suburban and someone went and broke out my barn door window. I have watched videos on how to remove the pins but am not having any luck. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

You want to do the work buy the tool. The only reason I can think to remove the door is if you think it's damaged beyond repair?? In which case I might be able to shed some light on whether it can be or not if you can get a pic posted. The rear door on these trucks is one of those situations where your better off painting it hanging on the truck. You can get the pins up with a pin punch and a bfh but one slip and you really made a mess. You would also need the bumper off to have enough room to do the lower hinge but it's still a PITA without the tool.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah and I'm not getting why the door needs to come off. Just have a glass man install a replacement window so it's done right and won't leak.

Note that there are 3 different glasses available - clear, bronze mirror tint, and smoke tint. I sure see a lot of them where people get the wrong glass as a replacement and man it sticks out like a sore thumb. The bronze tint were typically 92-93; smoke tint usually on 94-up. Clear were generally only on fleet vehicles.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind here when dealing with welded hinges. Factory tolerances and the fact you're only replacing half the hinges yadda, yadda. The door from one truck won't necessarily fit in the same place on another truck. Alignment issues. Buy the used door and have the glass transferred over.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If you remove the glass,be aware that it's tempered glass not safety glass, and doesn't like to be flexed much. It WILL shatter if that happens.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The replacement glass is $400 while the replacement door is $50. Bought the vehicle for $750 and don't want to put half the price of the vehicle into one window.
A brand new glass may be $400, but a used one isn't. If you can buy a whole door for $50 then just get that and have your glass installer remove the glass from it.

Richard