Ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I went to the shop to get an alignment and they told me I need new ball joints on both sides, pitman arm, idler arm and I need new cv boots. The estimated $2200 for the work. I said screw that, I'll do it myself, so I'm ordering the parts I need for it and was wondering if I should use press in lower ball joints or bolt on?

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good weekend if you take your time... a full day if you have somebody that knows what they're doing to help.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the quick responses guys! And one last question, I know this doesn't belong in this part of the forum but do you guys know what the bolt size is on the linkage for the transfer case?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idler arm is easy if you do the bracket at the same time. The pitman can be easy but will more than likely be a huge pain to get off. It will probably take a few hours and require pulling the steering box completely out of the truck. You have pressed in lower joints. You must use the correct joints for your lower a arms the difference is in the arm itself, they are either forged or stamped. You will need a ball joint press for those. It took me about 3 hrs to do both my lowers by myself. Factory uppers are riveted in and are also a pain to get out. The uppers took me about two hours to replace again by myself. Look for a thread titled rcx lift kit tips, I put more detail on ball joint replacement in there.

If your boots are torn an have been for a while I'd just replace the entire shafts with new units. The contamination in there will eventually cause failure unless you clean them really well an relubricate them properly. I'd say plan an hour for replacing both shafts. If you've never done anything like this before give yourself an entire weekend for the project at least. Good luck!

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your boots are torn an have been for a while I'd just replace the entire shafts with new units. The contamination in there will eventually cause failure unless you clean them really well an relubricate them properly.

^^^:word:

As for the transfercase bolts, I believe they're metric if I remember right.... somewhere in the 14 or 15 mil range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo