Bad vibration in drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently replaced the factory u joints and carrier bearing on my ccsb 4x4 it’s a 2500. I marked the two drive shafts so I was to be sure to put them together correctly and had a local car quest press
On the bearing for me but now I get a horrible vibration and don’t know what would cause this. Everything went together smooth and the clips all went in easy on the u joints.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the rear U-joint in the pinion yoke. I once had a customer come in for a bad vibration on new u joints. The rear u-joint wasn't sitting between the two tabs on the yoke, one side was sitting on the tab putting the whole thing out of balance. Simple 5 minute fix that time.

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok
Check the rear U-joint in the pinion yoke. I once had a customer come in for a bad vibration on new u joints. The rear u-joint wasn't sitting between the two tabs on the yoke, one side was sitting on the tab putting the whole thing out of balance. Simple 5 minute fix that time.
Ok, I’ll check it. Hopefully that’s all it is. Fingers crossed. I just hope it’s not that carrier or the drive shaft needs balanced?!

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the ujoint is in correctly in the rear yoke so I have something else going on causing the bad vibration. I’m guessing it it coming from the carrier bearing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well the ujoint is in correctly in the rear yoke so I have something else going on causing the bad vibration. I’m guessing it it coming from the carrier bearing.

I've never messed with the center bearing... do they mount precisely, or will they move around on the bolts before they're tightened down? Could you have rust under the bearing?

Shiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The holes are slotted to move back and forth but that’s about it. I’m thinking the height is different from the factory original maybe. I’m gonna have to tear it apart and check it I guess