B&m shifter help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zachs89

Reaction score
I have a 1989 gmc 1500 and I was wondering how I go about hooking up the neutral safety switch

Texabilly

Reaction score
Look for the purple wire on the steering column. Thay should be your neutral safety. Cut the steering column side of the wire and exstend it to the shifter.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember you have to move the 2 wires from switch at the base of the steering column that tells the ECU whether you are in Park/Neutral or Drive. They are right next to the wires for the reversing lights that have to be shifted over to the new shifter as well. You can use the P/N or Drive switch to interrupt the purple wire if you wish.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where the Transmission switch is on your column. There are 2 plugs each with 2 wires, one for park/neutral and ones for reversing lights, these both need to be extended to the new shifter.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is how the Park/Neutral switch is wired, it gets power from the ECU and earths when in Park or Neutral. You just need to extend these to the micro-switch on the new shifter.

This is the reversing light switch, it gets power from the fuse box (blue wire) and sends it to the reverse lights (green wire)

To set up a park/neutral safety switch you need to cut into the purple wire from the ignition switch and insert a small "Normally Open" relay that will be powered by this same purple wire and be earthed by the park/neutral switch on your shifter. When you turn the key to ignition, the purple wire will power the relay and the starter wire but will not let it through to the starter solenoid unless the shifter switch has earthed the relay to close the points.

I hope this helps.