Auto Darkening Welding Helmets.. What do you have/Why do you like it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bikerkid9069

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my hood has gotten pretty beat up over the past 4 years of using it damn near everyday. I currently have the speedglas SL which is SUPER LIGHT, but has a rather small viewing area. I know alot of people on here do a fair share of fabricating/welding so I'm looking for opinions/reviews about what you like/dont like about your hood... Miller/Lincoln/Jackson/Optrel/3M/Arcone Or even if I missed one throw it out there.

(Please dont comment about how you have a harbor freight hood and love it. They are good for hobby use but anything more they are garbage)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I've had a Speedglas 9100XX for about 2 years now, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't wear it as much as my passive helmets because I work in a lot of small places and rough conditions and I don't want to damage the Speedglas. But when I do get the chance to use it, it's a great helmet. It's the best auto darkening I've tried.

Next year I'm planning on buying an Optrel though. I want to try it out and see how well it works. Optrel helmets are the only auto darkening helmets on the market that are still warrantied for overhead use.

bikerkid9069

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next year I'm planning on buying an Optrel though. I want to try it out and see how well it works. Optrel helmets are the only auto darkening helmets on the market that are still warrantied for overhead use.

I noticed that... Even my old miller elite wasn't suppose to be used for overhead (which was weird because I feel like that had the most coverage on top out of man different helmets. The SL I have is an awesome helmet and it is supposedly the lightest hood on the market, BUT it has a tiny viewing area and not much over head coverage.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG] This isnt me in the picture but Its the helmet I use. I love the helmet and it isnt too big in my opinion than some of the boxy ones. It has 180 degree view and it is auto darkening. Sadly you have to change the lenses manually but I use a 10 shade and it works good. Its solar power too. I got it on cyberweld think I paid like 150? Looks bad ass too just sayin lol

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two auto dark helmets.

My first is a Jackson with an ~ 2x4 aperture, no adjustability or grinding features, I purchased it new for a hefty sum in 1994, that said, it lasted me up until this year and I bought a harbor freight auto darkening helmet with an ~ 4x4 aperture, adjustable tint and grinding features. Cost me around $70 and I have had zero complaints in the past 4 months of heavy use.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Speedglas FTW. I've had them all and I keep coming back to the speedglas. Miller is horrible. Great machines and MIG gloves, but the helmets are awful.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Speaking of gloves, have any of you tried using black stallion gloves? I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to using traditional welding gloves again.

-Via Mobile-

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of gloves, have any of you tried using black stallion gloves? I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to using traditional welding gloves again.

-Via Mobile-

First, Yes great product, love my revco gloves!

Second, how much to ship the female in your avatar to 01880? I don't care if she can't wash dishes.

Michael D

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lincoln helmet, and Hobart gloves. Soon enough, I'll probably buy another hood. Maybe I'll try a Speedglas the next time around. No complaints with the Lincoln, just need a second helmet. One to keep at home, one to take with me. I don't remember what the part number is on the Hobart gloves, but I love them! They're a light duty glove that I use for tig, light mig, and Mechanix Gloves type work. They last a hell of alot longer than Mechanix Gloves, and they're welding gloves to boot. Double duty!