Anyone put a Cam in their OBS? How hard is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bama2door

Reaction score
I've always wondered what goes into installing a cam on our OBS trucks....is the install hard, what all do you need, parts, tools, etc. I'm a noob when it comes to engine stuff, so if anyone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thought it may be cool to get a cam for christmas, but I might not know what I'm getting myself into...

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was asking DOC about this a long time ago when I had my 2wd Sierra. THe install isn't too hard, its just the specs I have a hard time with.
He said unless you change the valve springs you can't really go over 500 lift.

IIRC

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
If you're new at it don't even think about......too much to go wrong. Took me a weekend when I did it on the 89. I had to pull the grille, shroud, radiator and condenser to have enough room. I went ahead and pulled the heads to check a few things too. Long two days.

Bama2door

Reaction score
Well if I were to do it I'm gonna get my buddy who's done his cam on his GMT-800 1500 silvy to help me...you think there pretty similar to each other?

Also can anyone recommend a good cam for a DD? I'm not trying to get something that's amazing just maybe a little better over stock...and I'd really would like a real choppy lope.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Yea he should be able to help you.

And there's no such thing. A cam with radical timing to give that "choppy" idle isn't good for DD use and is meant to run at high rpm. I run a Lunati 60101 in the truck, it's TBI but would probably work well for a vortec as well. Of course you'll need a custom tune to run an aftermarket cam properly too.....

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea he should be able to help you.

And there's no such thing. A cam with radical timing to give that "choppy" idle isn't good for DD use and is meant to run at high rpm. I run a Lunati 60101 in the truck, it's TBI but would probably work well for a vortec as well. Of course you'll need a custom tune to run an aftermarket cam properly too.....

You can get cams that have choppy idles and still make for good daily drivers, its all in the tuning. Is it worth the headache to get one of these? In my opinion nope not worth the time and effort involved due to the minimal gains in power. You can have a cam specd to sound all sorts of ways but cam swaps are geared towards power. In theory like you said a "radical" sounding cam isnt good for daily driving. I am just saying its possible to get the sound but you wont get the performance with it. Unless you do get a radical cam that walks the walk and talks the talk per say. Than you run into alot of other issues to make it a decent daily driver.

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Overlap is what affects the choppy sound of the cam, correct?

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if I were to do it I'm gonna get my buddy who's done his cam on his GMT-800 1500 silvy to help me...you think there pretty similar to each other?

Also can anyone recommend a good cam for a DD? I'm not trying to get something that's amazing just maybe a little better over stock...and I'd really would like a real choppy lope.

Having a buddy that has done a cam install before will help out and keep you from doing something wrong. As far as similar some what, the concept is the same.

Your best bet is to call up some of the vendors for cams and they will walk you through selecting a cam. Tell them what you are looking for and your goals and they can spec out a custom grind for you. As for the little over stock and real choppy lope thats like having your cake and eating it also. Its possible but not really worth it in my opinion. I did that very same thing in my 99 z28 choppy cam with stockish performance loved the sound hated the power gains. Not worth the effort and money involved but is sounded great, just youtube my screen name here and you can see the vid " asa cam".

You might want to keep in mind also that when doing a cam its always good to replace the pushrods, springs, and lifters. Gets pricey real quick, a simple cam install turns into a major investment if you do it properly.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always wondered what goes into installing a cam on our OBS trucks....is the install hard, what all do you need, parts, tools, etc. I'm a noob when it comes to engine stuff, so if anyone could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated!

Thought it may be cool to get a cam for christmas, but I might not know what I'm getting myself into...

It can turn into a major investment/project but dont let that get you down. As for tools basic hand tools with a few special tools will get the job done. A spring compressor would be needed to swap the springs. like already said though there are plenty of other parts that should be installed to support a cam. Also a cam is kinda pointless if you don't have a good exhaust system to get all the gases out so headers and a free flowing exhaust should be added if not already done.