Anybody have any thoughts on this issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bushwacker

Reaction score
I just had my brakes fixed, they replaced the booster and disconnected the abs because it was acting up so I said f**k abs. When I brought my truck home I noticed a noise that I think to be the power steering pump. It sounds like a whistle that climbs steadily with Rpm. These to systems are somehow connected to each other? Could they have screwed it up when fixing the brakes? I went back and the tech told me the noise was "the alternator charging the battery"... We'll see about that theory. I will most likely be going back sat.
Any insite appriciated!

Last edited:

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
I just had my brakes fixed, they replaced the booster and disconnected the abs because it was acting up so I said f**k abs. When I brought my truck home I noticed a noise that I think to be the power steering pump. It sounds like a whistle that climbs with Rpm. These to systems are somehow connected to each other? Could they have screwed it up when fixing the breaks? I went back and the tech told me the noise was "the alternator charging the battery"... We'll see about that theory. I will most likely be going back sat.
Any insite appriciated!
Of its the alternator making that noise I'd drive it as little as possible. Alternator bearing going bad is not fun I know from expierence

sent from my glade air freshner

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When my alt. bearings failed on my truck, I pinpointed where the bearing noise was coming from with 2 long 3/8 ratchet extensions. I placed the end that the socket fits onto, on the alt, and the other end that fits onto the ratchet on my ear lobe. Pushing hard enough to close up my ear lobe where I could hear the bearings turning with the engine running. You do have to be extra careful so that the extension does not get yanked from your hand by any turning parts as the engine is. running ( E.G. the fan belt, the belt pulley's, hits the fan ect.) I added another extension and listened to the water pump, the power steering pump, the idler pully, and the AC compressor. With the extension trick, you can listen to all of your bearings as they turn, if you are careful. If you do have a bad bearing, you will know. There will be a high pitch squeal, or a loud grinding noise.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You could always take the belt off briefly just to determine if that is indeed the problem.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
The only way your braking system and PS pump would be connected is if you had Hydroboost brakes.

Bushwacker

Reaction score
Ok I do not have hydroboost. The thing is I replaced the alt. In the summer because the bearings were bad(it was making a grinding noise) but this new alt., if that's the culprit, is making a different noise more like an electrical ringing noise. I didn't believe the tech when he said the noise was my alt. was charging my battery because it has over 14volts and told him that he just said the same thing again.

mistaake

Reaction score
Ok I do not have hydroboost. The thing is I replaced the alt. In the summer because the bearings were bad(it was making a grinding noise) but this new alt., if that's the culprit, is making a different noise more like an electrical ringing noise. I didn't believe the tech when he said the noise was my alt. was charging my battery because it has over 14volts and told him that he just said the same thing again.

i don't know if it's the same noise but my suburban (95, tbi 5.7) makes a sort of whining noise, it's hard to describe, not really a whining noise, but it's just a noise... it does that any time it's running whether the headlights are on or not. i do notice that if i use the turn signal the volts gauge goes down noticeable with the blinker... so maybe my alternator is on its way out??

i don't remember having thise noise on either on my yukon (96, vortec 5.7) or k1500 silverado (98, vortec 5.7)...

So it must be something to do with something they changed from tbi to vortec. Now, if you have a vortec truck, not tbi, then ignore my post :D

have you tried to narrow down the noise? i have not.

Bushwacker

Reaction score
Ive tried to narrow it down with little luck. I brought it back to where i got my brakes fixed and the guy came out with stethiscope thing but still wasnt sure and he said it could be my alternator even though its fairly new. Maybe i got a defective unit. If idling for a while the noise goes away but comes back when I give it gas.

Last edited:

itst9

Reaction score
Reading through this thread I have the same problem. However i believe it seems to be just the brakes, maybe the hydro boost? Or something in line with vacuum. The issue started as a small squealing noise that was intermittent and now is constant. Thinking it was a pulley i removed the serpentine belt and all were fine. Tonight is when the connection was made that every time the brake is applied the squeal goes away. Upon taking off from a start or just driving down the road the squeal resumes. Can this just be a cracked vacuum line? If so how many lines/ places can i check as i have never dug into the brake booster.