Another Vortec Missfire Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since early winter my 98 has had a small miss to it, but since I hardly drove it I never looked into it to much. Now I'm looking to sell it and want it to be running good. The miss only seems to happen with light acceleration and when at a steady speed, it idles smooth and works fine if drove "aggressive". Strange part is after about 20 minutes of driving it begins to run like normal with no miss. While missing the tack holds steady and the miss cant be felt, just hear it popping out the exhaust.

Earlier this week I drove it and it set off codes P0306 (cylinder 6 missfire), P0327 (knock sensor 1, circuit low input bank 1) and P0161 (02 heater circuit bank2/sensor 2). Cleared the codes and the truck ran fine for the rest of the day, thought maybe a tank of fresh fuel had fixed the problem.
That was a wrong assumption, since it had the same miss today, again after driving 20 minutes or so it ran fine. This time it only set codes P0327 and P0161 (it has been setting off the o2 sensor code randomly since I've owned the truck).

With selling the truck I dont want to spend any more money then I have to on it. I have a OBD2 scanner with liverun data but no idea on what to look at on it. I have swapped out the number 6 spark plug and wire, hoping the code may follow that but no luck. Plugs are like new and properly gapped, compression is also good. I remember reading a similar problem to this not long ago but I've searched for a few evening with no luck of finding it.

My thinking is that the knock sensor code is being set off due to the missfire/detonation? If so that is not much help.
Is the only way to test the plug wires by checking the resisitance? What should they read?
Could it be possible that moisture/condensation is collecting in the cap/rotor from sitting? It wouldnt last that long would it?
Timing? Wouldnt the SES be on if out more then 2*
Does it sound like fuel related, possible "spider" failure?

Any more info would be great. Again I want to be able to eliminate all that I can without just buying parts hoping to fix the problem. So suggesting to just do a full tune up is not any help. Thanks

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill put money on the distributor gear,cap,rotor.

I've been thinking that too. I had the dist. out a year ago when I did the intake gaskets but never took notice of how the teeth were.
Only strange part is how it runs fine after driving for 20 min or so? Would having it hooked up to a full scanner be able to tell if the timing was jumping/moving around from the worn gear?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Knock sensor codes usually don't set due to a misfire. Check the wire going to the knock sensor, it might be broken or disconnected.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When mine was beat it had a smooth idle but on a load it would pop out the exhaust like the timing was out.The scanner should show the timing jumping around if its mising,I would pull it back out for s and gigs.Could very well just have moisture in the cap.The knock sensor code is probably from spark knock.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just pop your cap off and have a look inside for condensation or deteriorated button/posts before running it.

Easy and free.

You haven't "washed" the engine lately have you?

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would try a new plug in Cylinder 6 to start with or try regapping the current plug. Simple and low cost.

For the knock sensor, one thing you could try is running a better grade of fuel. A higher octane rating will reduce spark knock. So if the knock sensor continues to go off, could have a problem in wiring then.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just pop your cap off and have a look inside for condensation or deteriorated button/posts before running it.

Easy and free.

You haven't "washed" the engine lately have you?

And great white for the WIN! Cleaned up the terminals and ran fine so I will pick up a new cap and rotor for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Good stuff! Vortecs seem to be extremely hard on caps/rotors for some reason. I went through a couple on my old truck in 2 years, and have done lots to other trucks.

Maybe just coincidence, or possibly a bad seal design or something