Another TBI running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really know as much about this as the others, but I'll throw out some ideas:

-Check with a vacuum gage while running. I don't remember a lot of details, but you can tell a lot about engine health by how the needle moves- I would do a thorough test for vacuum leaks as they are common on these engines. As they tell people in medical school- an uncommon manifestation of a common problem is more likely than a common manifestation of an uncommon problem. If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

-You said it was rich, but I didn't see black smoke in your video or any significant amount of soot on the exhaust pipe. Can you smell raw fuel (either rich or poor atomization), or can you smell NOx (raw no-cat exhaust smell- somewhat normal on cold starts since cat is less effective cold, but an excessive amount of it, especially while running hot, might suggest a lean condition)?

A vacuum leak would probably be a lean condition, but weird stuff might happen when the computer tries to compensate for it (surging, sputtering, etc.). Vacuum leaks could come from a lot of places- intake gaskets, brake booster, hoses, etc. and electric/vacuum devices like EGR valves

No vac leaks. I've gone through cans of carb cleaner searching for external leaks. Pulled the intake and did a new gasket too, just incase I missed something.

Yes, you can smell the richness. Like if you hadnt opened the choke quick enough, on a carb'd rig.

There's not cat on it and yes, you can see black smoke, especially against the snow. If it was lean, it would tend to backfire, especially when you apply throttle.

I'm going to go fiddle with it and see what the timing thing does. I think I've done it already but......

cadillac7834

Reaction score
Did you replace the coolant temp sensor single wire in head for the gauge. How bout the one in intake for computer. Sounds like it’s reading -40 F at startup. Have you put a scanner on it, before engine startup. Read coolant coolant temp temp and compare to ambient temp to make sure it accurate.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unplugged the timing wire, started it, ran pretty well once it started. Didnt have to touch the throttle either. I mean, it doesnt run near as nice a my 84 carbed Toyota pickup, but good for what it is. Set the timing back to 0 and I'll try it later tonight once it gets good and cold.

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you replace the coolant temp sensor single wire in head for the gauge. How bout the one in intake for computer. Sounds like it’s reading -40 F at startup. Have you put a scanner on it, before engine startup. Read coolant coolant temp temp and compare to ambient temp to make sure it accurate.

I did not replace dash gauge sensor....that shouldnt have anything to do with anything or would it? Intake one multiple times.

Yes, temps are accurate.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Here is another thing to look at. Find the elevation at your location. ((Montana has a mean elevation of 3400 feet above sea level) Hook up a scanner and measure the MAP voltage KOEO, it should be 3.3-5.0 volts. If the voltage is with in the range listed plug the map signal line at the TBI and apply vacuum to the MAP sensor and see if it causes the engine to run differently than with the MAP hooked to the engine

opus

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is another thing to look at. Find the elevation at your location. ((Montana has a mean elevation of 3400 feet above sea level) Hook up a scanner and measure the MAP voltage KOEO, it should be 3.3-5.0 volts. If the voltage is with in the range listed plug the map signal line at the TBI and apply vacuum to the MAP sensor and see if it causes the engine to run differently than with the MAP hooked to the engine

We're on a valley floor, 2500'. "KOEO"?? Does that voltage not show in the logs I posted?

I've replaced the MAP a couple times, if that matters.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
We're on a valley floor, 2500'. "KOEO"?? Does that voltage not show in the logs I posted?

I've replaced the MAP a couple times, if that matters.
KEY ON ENGINE OFF =KOEO. 2500 Ft .ELAVATION= 3.5 v-5.1 volts