Aftermarket gauges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
Has anyone put aftermarket gauges, like autometer in their 96-98 truck. I had a set of Speedhut gauges in my old 69 Coronet and loved them. I'm toying around with the idea of putting a set in my C3500. Two of the gauges don't work (or work properly) and I like that I can get a GPS driven Speedometer. Never have to worry about tire or gear size changes. Plus the set I want to get would allow me to run a few other gauges in the cluster (ie. Trans temp, air/fuel).
Anyway, my question comes down to the security light on my gauge cluster. Will not having this hooked up cause a problem? Are there any other problems I'd have to look at.
If you have a custom gauge set up in a 96-00 GMT400, please post you set up and any issues or tips you've found.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First question, you're asking about autometer gauges, but also asking about the security light. Do you plan on replacing the entire cluster with an aftermarket unit? Or just adding individual gauges?

Now, to hopefully answer your question, I'll be going over both options I mentioned above

Cluster replacement:
I've seen 2 or 3 digital cluster replacements, and they do seem to be plug and play, and shouldnt cause an issue with the security light due to the cluster should only display data, and not communicate with the anti theft module

Individual gauges:
I added in a trans temp GlowShift gauge in my personal rig, and I love it. In our racecar, we have autometer, and I'm not a huge fan. If I were to do it again though, I would not recommend the tinted lenses, as if the sun is shining through the back glass, it is impossible to see the gauge, but the white face gauges without tinted lenses seem to be perfect to me.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now, due to these gauges being added on, you should not have to worry about anything going on with the security light due to just about every gauge has it's own sending unit that you will have to add a harness to. The only thing you'll need to figure out is your constant 12v and switched 12v in the convenience center below the dash.

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
This is the gauge set I was looking at starting with.
https://www.speedhut.com/kit/GRM4-D...h-GPS-Speedometer---8K-Tachometer,-Quad-Gauge

From there I would add a trans temp, air/fuel and fuel pressure gauge. Provided there is room where the cluster was. I can wire up turn signal and high beam indicators, maybe an abs light as well, but beyond that I wasn't planning on any of the other warning lights. I'm most just trying to make sure, that not including lights such as the security light isn't going to cause a no start issue. Basically make the truck think it's been stolen or such.

I've thought about the aftermarket replacement clusters, but I want s GPS speedometer.

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
These are the Speedhut gauges I installed in my Coronet a few years back, and the worked flawlessly.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Erick the car Guy installed a complete custom gauge set. I know the truck he did that on was older (i think it was a 90 or something) but it turned out good