Aftermarket Dipsticks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kind of looked around on Summit, but can't find anything that is vehicle specific. On my truck ('97 Vortec 350) the factory dipstick that runs all the way up by the front of the engine is starting to get a couple bends/kinks in it, and I am getting worried that it might end up breaking one of these times getting it back in. Was hoping to try and find something that is straight up and down.

Any suggestions on what you guys have used??

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I have yet to find a decent aftermarket dipstick/tube that fits right and doesn't leak. Picking one up from the dealer is your best bet.

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, dealer it is then. Do they have one that is shorter perhaps? Like mine currently runs all the way up by the alternator. If I remember correctly, my '94 K5's dipstick was about mid-block by the valve covers. Not sure if there is a difference between the TBI and Vortec ones or not.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Lokar trans and engine dipsticks on mine that a friend of mine gave me they don't leak and fit very well but they are pricy.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a van dipstick on there. If you order the correct one for the truck then you should be set.

RATFOOD

Reaction score
Guys , would the dealer still carry a dipstick from a 1990 5.7 truck or is it too old? I have been looking online for one but nobody seems to sell the normal GM oil dipstick.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a van dipstick on there. If you order the correct one for the truck then you should be set.

Oh that would be a pain. Van dipsticks are a mile long. Checking the oil on the work vans, you just about have to back up to get the end out of the tube!