Advice setting timing on non running, complete engine... 92 gmc 5.7 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm positive that I finally stopped my oil leak that was at the oil pressure switch fitting housing ..
You must be registered for see images attach
Unfortunately I can't get my timing right though, how does one go about setting timing on an engine that won't start? I aligned the crank Mark to top dead center and dropped the distributor in ,pointing towards the first cylinder but it's backfiring now...

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
It could be 180 degrees off. Make sure number 1 is at top dead center on the compression/power stroke not the exhaust/intake stroke.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the distributor, turn the rotor half a turn and drop the dizzy back in if it is 180 out.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, do you guys think backfiring would be common if it was backwards? To be honest I had the truck running yesterday but that was back when I was still messing with Teflon tape for the leak.

The only thing that makes me wonder is when I dropped it in the hole with the distributor arm pointing towards the first cylinder, it wasn't aligning all the way. There was a quarter inch Gap from my gasket to the bottom of the distributor. I watched a YouTube video of a guy doing a Chevelle and he said if you're on top dead center then that gear is engaged from your distributor, you can bump the engine and it will rotate in place.

By the time it was flush, it had rotated itself clockwise when I bumped the engine twice, and was pointed towards the passenger forward cylinder.