AD244 installed in 1989 TBI OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

narizon

Reaction score
Finally installed a ad244 in my 1989 TBI,I knew it wasn't going to be easy but anything is possible.The ad244 housing is much larger than the OEM cs130 so it has to have the file/grinder treatment.Patience is a plus as these alternators are pricey.The ad244 bottom bolt housing has to filled down 1/16" to fit as well as a notch has to be made at the bottom housing to correctly set in place.You can see the notch in the fourth pic,it's next to the bolt.For the top mount I used a 5/16" file to start the groove & a grinder to finish it off.The top OEM bracket fits in the channel perfectly.For the pulley I reused a '97 3.1 Malibu pulley I had as it is smaller in diameter than the pulley the ad244 came with,it's a GM overdrive pulley.:naughty:
Just need a ad244 plug to wire it in and this mod should work great.
I had an upgraded cs130 that started to give me problems so I went this rout.
I did take pics of the ad244 case being worked on but hit the wrong button (delete) on this stupid Sony camera.Oh well.:suicide:

You must be registered for see images attach

notch made at bottom housing

Malibu pulley

groove made for the OEM metal bracket

groove pic shot from under upper radiator hose

just need the plug

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks pretty good might do this when I do efans depending on how the stock one is

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

narizon

Reaction score
The plugs on & the 244 is working good.I installed a Mark8 efan,dual batteries with Big 3 & aux lights as well as great sound system some time ago.The OEM cs130 took a dump so had it rebuilt & lasted almost two years that way.I did upgrade the mono amp last November so that probably finished it off.The 244 is 145 AMP,really keeps the volt's steady at idle,also because of the pulley.Haven't checked out what it really does at idle,will do when I get home.
You can see the metal bracket in the first pic were the top alternator (cs1300) bolt goes.
If you have aluminum brackets all you have to do is enlarge one bolt hole on the bracket itself.Much easier than doing it this way.

Last edited:

Wstrnsky

Big Sky Country
Reaction score
I did the samething last spring with my 95. I added a 240 amp highoutput AD244 alt from dc power. It works great. I also did the big 3 upgrade and added a second battery. Running a high powered sound system and 6 - 100 watt, 4 - 55 watt aux lights along with a 12,000 lb winch.