Accessing Wonky Power Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
There's been something wrong with my power antenna from day one. It makes a loud clanking noise when it raises or lowers the mast and radio reception is awful.

I just replaced my head unit, and the antenna connection looks good behind the stereo but my reception is now even worse. So I'm guessing there's an issue at the antenna itself, but I can't figure our how to access it unless I pull out the wheel well, which sounds like a pain in the ass. Is that really my best option?

I felt around in there with my hand and it does seem like the thick antenna wire is securely attached to the base of the mast. This has definitely been worked on before as there's a fairly cheesy hack job where the antenna enters the hole in the fender.

Any advice is appreciated.

-Alex

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First red flag is that you have a raising and lowering power antenna, that was not a factory option as far as I'm aware.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I'm curious about this as well. One of my trucks has awful reception and I'm pretty sure my problem resides in the same area.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
I'd like to just pull out the power antenna and replace with a solid antenna, but again, access seems like a PITA unless I'm missing something.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Decided to give it a try yesterday, and it was surprisingly easy.

Once I removed the coolant reservoir, I found the power antenna assembly (screwed to the wheel well). Removed that and pulled out the antenna - total crappy hack job: they used a **** ton of grease-putty type goo to hold the antenna in place, poorly of course.

Turns out my reception issues were from the antenna simply being unplugged (the plug was being held in, at one point, by more of that grease-putty crap).

Now I have some reception, but I also have a big hole. I'm going to look around and see where I can find a replacement mast.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got some universal GM antenna from the local auto store today, but it fit like crap. None of the plastic caps had quite the right angle and the antenna itself splayed out slightly to the side.

I'm thinking of getting this one and hoping it's actually made to fit our trucks correctly http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K4YOGW...e=df0&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000K4YOGW

You could always replace it with factory stuff, GM still makes them.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...-engine/electrical-cat/antenna-and-radio-scat

Alternatively you could pull one from a salvage yard for a lot cheaper.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score