accelleration lag?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I accelerate in my truck, only at lower speeds and when engine is warm, there seems to be an "acceleration lag" like symptom. when I press on the gas pedal, the engine drops back down to idle speed and then one or two seconds later the truck rpms are back up and accelerating like I wanted it to in the first place. again, this only happens when the engine is warm and at lower speeds>> under 30mph. what could be causing this symptom? see sig for truck description

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well sigs don't show on tapatalk... So what do you drive?

Is your engine light on?

Short list...
Tps
Iac
Egr
Timing
Fuel issue

Could be a whole bunch of things

What have you checked already? And what was the outcome of said tests?

Sent from what use to be a great country.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sigs show on tapatalk if you tap his avatar. 1990 350 with tbi.
Fuel or timing is my guess.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^cool. Never knew that it shows anything when you tap the avatar.

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well sigs don't show on tapatalk... So what do you drive?

Is your engine light on?

Short list...
Tps
Iac
Egr
Timing
Fuel issue

Could be a whole bunch of things

What have you checked already? And what was the outcome of said tests?

I replaced the tps (it was destroyed). I recently rebuilt the engine and transmission so those are new. the timing is not fine tuned so I will do that this weekend. fuel is fine, I know that much. I will check the timing and fine tune it and see what happens. thanks for the list!

RED90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a bad coil in my searches so I replaced that, lag was still occurring. I checked the timing and it was fairly advanced so I retarded it, but I forgot to unplug the connector by the fuel pump relay (I had no clue this even existed). since I didn't unplug the connector, I was fighting the computer compensation for the timing and I ended up retarding the timing 15 degrees (I found that out when we unplugged the connector and re-did the timing). so...we got the timing set right and no more lag!!! she runs great now

Tweezak

Reaction score
I found a bad coil in my searches so I replaced that, lag was still occurring. I checked the timing and it was fairly advanced so I retarded it, but I forgot to unplug the connector by the fuel pump relay (I had no clue this even existed). since I didn't unplug the connector, I was fighting the computer compensation for the timing and I ended up retarding the timing 15 degrees (I found that out when we unplugged the connector and re-did the timing). so...we got the timing set right and no more lag!!! she runs great now

Hmm...where is this plug? In fact where is the fuel pump relay? I recently bought a 94 Silverado with a TBI 350 and I'm still learning my way around it. Thanks!