acceleration problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokemgood

Reaction score
It only happens if i accelerate from a stop but if i get on it a little from a stop the engine cuts out or stutters a little and than fires up again and i keep on driving its really weird. It doesn't happen if im going like 55 and i floor it though so i don't really know what the problem is. It smells like it is running a little rich maybe. Also it isn't throwing any engine codes except for sometimes when im on the highway the check engine light will come on which leads me to believe that my egr maybe not working but i don't know if that would cause the problem im having. Any help is very much appreciated.
thanks

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im guessing its the fuel pump, but im sure the others will jump in and help

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This could be several things, but right off the bat it sound's like a TPS sensor problem, but you really need to use a live data scanner and check out what is going on, before you start just buying part's for it, also you really need to check on that egr problem, because a fualty or stuck egr valve can act like a massive vacume leak and really effect the air fuel ratio also.

smokemgood

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys. I will check out the EGR today and let you guys know what it looks like.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Best way to check the TPS is with an analog voltmeter hooked to the signal wire with the ignition on and engine off....while slowly turning the throttle plate(opening it up) the needle should move right along, if you see the needle drop momentarily it means that's the faulty(dead spot) position. The Throttle Position Sensor works the same way a volume knob does on a radio, it has multiple little spots on the rotor plate each spot giving a tad more resistance than the next.....or in this case, a tad less resistance. When the engine is running you should be able to move it to that possition and it'll probably start running roughly and will straighten out when you release the throttle.

smokemgood

Reaction score
Ok so i got the egr off how do i know if its no good anymore it seems like the valve goes up and down alright im going to at least replace the gasket because it disengrated when i pulled it off.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well first of all the plunger and diaphram should move smoothly and secondly you should be able to compress the valve by hand and when it's fully compressed you should be able to put your finger on the end of the port where the vacume hose hook's to end release the valve with your other hand, the valve should stay compressed until you remove your finger, when you remove your finger it should spring back open that show's you that it is holding vacume. That is how I have alway's checked them anyway.

smokemgood

Reaction score
Thanks for your help I checked the egr and it wasn't holding vacuum so I went ahead and replaced it and it seems to have fixed the problem.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i have a similar problem and i think its actually a vacuum problem, but mine is only when i first start up and i first go to take off, even if you floor it it seems to wanna die but never does